Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Jair Jurrjens Is Our Fahza

Jair Jurrjens threw a complete game last night holding the Padres to 2 runs in a speedy 2 hours and 14 minutes.

It wasn't pretty for the Padres. Aaron Harang gave up two HRs to David Ross. David Ross? Those are the only two words you need to know things were bad.

I've seen quite a few home runs by the opposition in the 5 games I've attended this season and they have been predominately hit by no-namers. PETCO is supposed to be tough on all hitters let alone those who suck. I guess David Ross and Brian Schneider didn't get the memo.

Back to Jurrjens. Jair Jurrjens is from Curacao an island in the Caribbean Sea and part of The Dutch Antilles. Because Jurrjens is from a Dutch speaking property of the Netherlands I always recall the film, Austin Powers in Goldmember, when it's his turn to take the hill against the Padres.

Why? Because quite possibly one of the greatest lines ever captured on film was delivered by Michael Caine as the character Nigel Powers:
"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
I laugh every time I think of that quote. And quoting Goldmember is apropos after last night's debacle... Jair Jurrjens was definitely the Padres' fahza.

No comments:

Post a Comment