Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm Lost: A Question For Those On The Beat, Media Types, And Padres Fans

We have been told that the only reason Jed Hoyer was even allowed to discuss employment with Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs is because Jeff Moorad felt that he had a suitable replacement within the organization (Josh Byrnes). Without the presence of Byrnes the request is denied, a non-starter as they say.

But what about Assistant GM, Jason McLeod? There was nobody in house to replace him as the Padres looked outside of the organization to hire Chad McDonald. Why was this allowed to happen?

Without the presence of Jason McLeod the Padres farm system doesn't look nearly as good as it does right now, so it seems like a legitimate question. I've searched but found nothing.

It's almost as though Jason McLeod is still fulfilling a term of indentured servitude (2 years served of 7) and Jeff Moorad was forced to let him go to Chicago on account of him being Jed's property.

Anyone know the answer? Has the question been asked but I'm a bit too deaf, a little too blind?

6 comments:

  1. This was a little weird, especially considering that Chris Gwynn left also.

    If you believe that the Front Office didn't want to keep people around who didn't want to be here, then I think that explains part of the why.

    Also, the Chad MacDonald thing happened very quickly and I'm guessing that, as soon as it became apparent that Theo wanted to poach the Padres, Byrnes was putting his team together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense to a degree. If you're in charge you want your people. But I would think that McLeod could be characterized as one of "Byrnes' People" as well based on their relationship in both Boston and San Diego.

    I'm curious why I haven't heard the question asked though. Or has it been asked and I just suck at reading/listening?

    No makey sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to guess.

    I think that Byrnes was in a position lower that McLeod. If you promote Byrnes over McLeod to GM, it would be perceived as a slight to McLeod, who as AGM would be next in succession.

    To avoid that, you let him take a lateral move, since you can promote Chad McDonald.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes sense.

    Just haven't heard the question asked and I hate to see McLeod go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what it's worth, I quoted McLeod saying that once it became apparent Jed was leaving, McLeod felt he had to go with him. He called it bittersweet. I never asked Moorad whether he considered McLeod for the GM job. Maybe I should've. But Moorad holds Byrnes in such high esteem it seemed a moot point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for replying, Tom.

    I get it if Moorad didn't consider McLeod, thinking that he needed more experience, and also that Byrnes is in house.

    But I wonder if there was a way to bypass McLeod for the GM position but to also entice him to stay. More money; added responsibility; a few more syllables on the name placard to his office?

    The club will miss McLeod equally . . . in my not so expert opinion.

    ReplyDelete