Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Let's Play: 'The 2009 Chargers in a Word'


When Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee appeared on XX1090 with Darren Smith on Monday, the following question was proposed:

Darren Smith
: Gimme one word to describe the Chargers.......I know you're a word smith and you have to write these 1000 piece essays but.....one word.....
Kevin Acee
: You interrupted me.....Resilient
DS:
That's my word
KA:
Oh was it your word?......I don't know!......I don't listen to you!......I listen to Hacksaw, Dude.
DS:
You're only human

HaHaHa.... "I listen to Hacksaw, Dude."

That was funny but we're not here for funny we're here to talk Bolts. If you are so inclined go ahead and listen to the Podcast for more insights on the Chargers play over the last few weeks as well as a preview to the Christmas Carnage scheduled for Friday night. Right now though, it's time for: 'The Chargers in a Word'.

It's difficult to disagree with the word resilient being attached to this squad. The number of injuries that have occurred since week 1 in Oakland are frankly, retarded. 'No-names' have filled in admirably and become 'somebodies' in the eyes of Charger fans and that folks is long hand for: R-E-S-I-L-I-E-N-T.

I don't know that this team is defined by its resilient nature however. When I think of the 2009 Chargers I think of Philip Rivers calmly controlling his offense and marching them down the field in times of dire need. If I could describe this team with just one word, personified by the play of Philip Rivers, there's little doubt in this fan's mind as to what it would be: Phlegmatic.

Phlegmatic
. That's right......phlegmatic.

Editor's Note:
Do not confuse my use of the word phlegmatic as tacit endorsement of The Four Temperaments school of psychology which stems from the ancient medical concept of Humorism. I believe that this interpretation of the word would be more of a discredit to Philip Rivers and myself...... as I do not believe in Humorism and Philip Rivers is AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment