Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Vencie Says: Philip Rivers Crushes, Playoffs and the Abomination of Cromartie


Stellar show this last Sunday following the destruction of the Titans on Christmas Night. What did Vencie Glenn, et. al. have to say? Let us proceed...
On Philip Rivers:

"He has become the Michael Jordan of this football team. He carries this football team, and he has done an excellent job of taking over this team, putting it on his shoulders.....and they ride on Philip Rivers."
I too have a man crush on Philip Rivers. On account of the love that Vencie Glenn expresses each week towards #17, I do not feel like less of a man for it. Thank you Vencie.

On Resting Players Against The 'Skins:
"I just like everybody playing. I don't have a problem taking out your starters, maybe the second quarter, something, just to give them a little freshness, keep them sharp, but sitting out the whole game? I don't believe in that."
Agreed. Get the guys two quarters to keep game sharpness, timing, and most importantly, the Sunday body clock in tune. Rest guys who have been battling injuries (i.e. Shawne Merriman).

On Fearing Particular Teams In The Playoffs:
"You've got to be cautious of EVERYBODY once the playoffs start"
I agree with this assessment but 'to be the best' you 'have to beat the best'. However, I am weary of the Steelers because they seem to have our number the last couple of years so I'd prefer to not see their elimination from playoff contention. Other than that, bring on the Pats in the Divisional round and the Colts in the AFCCG. That would be the test of all tests.

On Which Player Has Been The Biggest Surprise:
"Philip Rivers is the guy that I think is the most improved. I just think his decision making, the way he spreads the ball, how he's taken control of this offense, and his accuracy is just amazing as a defensive man (speaking of himself)."
I can't say I'm entirely surprised by Philip Rivers as it has been demonstrated week in and week out that he has been anointed as God's quarterback. So no surprise there. I would go with the defensive line play and Brandon Dombrowski on the O-line. I was tearing them apart during week 8 but they've gelled over the past two months. Me likes their improvement and find myself surprised weekly.

What Is The Deal With Cromartie?

At this point there was hysterical laughter by the panel as they knew it was a topic Vencie would relish the opportunity to opine. SI's Jim Trotter even suggested that it was not a viewer question, but instead, a question planted by Vencie Glenn. Here is the direct text of the viewer e-mail question followed by Vencie's response:


"I've been sayin' this all year. I'm glad some people people watch film the way I watch it. It's a shame that one guy out out of Ten (11?) just does not want to be physical. THIS is the National Football League. You sign up for contact. He does not EVEN want to touch anybody. I just can't believe the defensive coordinator just let's him get away with it."
Jim Trotter expressed his opinion on Cromartie more diplomatically by essentially saying that Cro' is what he is and you can't make him something he's not, this probably being the best way to assess Cromartie. We'll never get a guy who plays a physical brand of football because it's not part of his own self image. Cro' views himself as Deion Sanders not as a Quentin Jammer or Pat Fischer. My personal opinion on the way Cromartie plays: a complete embarrassment for someone who calls himself a professional football player. Unfortunately there are many others just like him.


I felt the need to add in some additional Jim Trotter commentary because his analysis is sound and he's also good at intelligently 'taking the piss' out of somebody.....in this case Josh McDaniels and the Denver Broncos.

Jim Trotter On Josh McDaniels:
"I think it's a guy who came in, and in my opinion, thought he had all the answers early when they started 6-0, and now he's finding out that the NFL is a lot tougher than that....and we'll see you next year Josh."
This was better live because JT was really punking McDaniels when he said "...and we'll see you next year Josh." It was pretty funny....and I laughed.

Jim Trotter On The Broncos' Playoff Hopes:
"Don't you feel bad for Denver? 6-0. Now they're probably out of the playoffs. Geez, I feel terrible for 'em"
Once again video does more justice as JT rolled his eyes when talking about feeling bad for the Broncos.

Until next week's edition of Sunday Night Football in San Diego, 'Vencie Says', bids you farewell.

Always remember: Vencie Glenn pulls no punches. Nor Does Avenging Jack Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment