Monday, February 22, 2010

LaDainian Tomlinson Released After Breathing Life Back Into The Chargers


On the drive home I listened to AJ Smith on Xtra Sports 1360 discuss the release of future Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson. After he spoke I turned off the radio.

I have yet to read any articles regarding LT's release. I have stayed away from all of the social media so I can only guess as to how San Diego's reacting. For the most part, San Diego has readied itself for this day ever since the protracted AJ/LT drama in February of 2009. I, for one, was ready for this day. Yet it's still a difficult thing to grasp.

LT marks a significant moment in my history as a Chargers fan*. Truth be told, I wasn't much of a Chargers fan before that day in 2001 when the front office decided to opt out of the "Michael Vick Sweepstakes" and traded the rights to draft #1 to the Atlanta Falcons. I became a fan that day as I recognized a sea change in the way the Bolt Brass was choosing to operate. Of course it didn't hurt when they not only drafted LT but snagged Drew Brees at the top of the 2nd round (click below to continue reading).



I absolutely KNEW it was the wrong move to pick Michael Vick yet how ironic is it now that we are speaking of LT's career ending and Vick's starting over? I think that the seminal Zucker brothers film Airplane said it best when they reminded us that, "Irony......can be pretty ironic sometimes."

So here we are, left to reflect on LT's greatest moments. I'll always remember the Oakland Raider domination as well as the "Raiders Suck" T-shirt that LT famously sported during one Raider week. There were the overtime walk-off TDs against the Redskins, Titans, and Raiders that I'll always recall with excitement and who can ever forget the fantastic rushing game against the Patriots on January 14th 2007 during the playoffs........followed by the midfield melt down at the conclusion of the game with a few Patriot players. As difficult as it was to lose that game it was made easier when LT voiced his opinions so boisterously about the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick.

The luster on LT's star has lost a bit of its shine in the last couple of seasons but it is far outweighed by the good he has done for both the Chargers and the community of San Diego. Forget the bad and remember the good. There was a lot of good, wasn't there?

*In 2001 I was a "fan free-agent". I had drifted out of following my birth team in about 1995 but couldn't commit myself fully to the San Diego home team. I always wished them well but in no way could have been described as a true fan. As is the case, my level of suffering as a Chargers fan is not on the same level as so many tortured fans in San Diego. I feel among the persecuted but I am mindful that while the Chargers have been in existence for 50 years, I have only lived here for X number of years and only followed the Chargers for Y number of years. I am also mindful that this is not a blog about algebra.

2 comments:

  1. Did you hear that Sproles may be leaving the team as well?

    Do they have anyone that can take either of their places?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They won't franchise Sproles again so it looks like he's probably gone.

    FA and draft. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete