Monday, November 22, 2010

Catching-Up: Part I

One of the things that's been holding me up in terms of writing anything original is the back-log of items that need to be posted. In examining this "extensive back-log" it has been found to be not so extensive... a mere three items.

I shall begin chronologically and time dictates that I begin with RJs Fro and their regular installment of  Beers with Bob. I was invited by SDPads1 and Beautown to "be a part of" an interview with former Padres announcer Bob Chandler... and by, "to be a part of", I mean to say that I held the video camera. Check out the steady hand...
(click "Read More" to continue).





This was such an awesome experience.

The video was a short ten minutes but before filming we spent over an hour talking baseball and drinking beers with Bob Chandler, a guy who has seen it ALL close up and personal. From the famine of the early '70s to the epic game 1 clash in Yankee Stadium back in 1998*, Bob has been there as a witness. Bob Chandler was a reporter but he's also two parts fan of the San Diego Padres.

This video was filmed in August before the Padres went on their 10 game losing streak so the content is pretty rosy, fully outfitted with references to a playoff edition of Beers With Bob. The talk about the 2010 season was exciting especially when Bob made comparisons to past teams. I also had the opportunity to pop in a couple of questions about this blog's name sake, Jack Murphy, and in the process learned some interesting historical perspective. Bob mentioned the power that, as sports editor, Murphy wielded and also made mention of how Murphy was a person you didn't want to cross. I failed to get clarification on this last statement but perhaps in the future it is one I can explore further if given the chance with the legendary Bob Chandler**.

If you're a fan of the Padres you need to know your history and I can think of no better place to begin than with Bob Chandler and the guys over at RJ's Fro. Take a moment to click the following links and then explore The Fro... they'll put you on another level.

Beers With Bob: Volume 1 (click)
Beers With Bob: Volume 2 (click)

Stay tuned for Beers With Bob: Volume 4. Unfortunately I missed the filming but I know that the footage is in the editing process.

*The answer to your question is YES; Mr. Chandler still laments the non-strike call that Mark Langston threw to Tino Martinez which ultimately led to an extended life and a soul crushing grand slam on the next pitch.
** Bob has written a book called Bob Chandler's Tales From The San Diego Padres which I recommend highly. My copy is now autographed. Go buy it!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh yes...the "Playoff Edition" Beers with Bob. The world will never know the big plans I had for that now. Nice going Padres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misery bolsters the resolve of the true fan... so we've go that going for us.

    ReplyDelete