Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How many All-Star Games Do You Even Remember?


I'm sure this post will be riddled with errors which is, by my rationale, the point. All Star games are so forgettable that your mind cannot help but play with the facts.

The earliest All-Star game I can recall watching was in 1983.

Prior to that year there are only three that come to mind as being memorable. I know that Pete Rose ran over Ray Fosse to win a game. It was sometime in the 1970's, it gave the NL the victory, and Fosse broke his collar bone on the play. Fosse was never the same and a lot of people think Pete Rose is a dick because of it... I disagree. Catchers should be destroyed whenever they place themselves between a base runner and the safety of home plate. A lot of people think I'm a dick too, so you can form your own conclusions.



The second game I can recall was Ted Williams hitting a HR off of Rip Sewell's Eephus pitch. This could be totally wrong but I'm going by memory. It was probably in the '40s. Of course it could have been in the '50s. Does it even matter?
 (click "Read More" to continue)



Didn't pay attention to the year attached to the picture...still don't know

Someone struck out the side in the '20s or '30s. I think it was Carl Hubbel who K'd some crazy threesome like Gehrig, Ruth, and some other hall of famer. Who knows?

Although I wasn't born for the above games....the All-Star games themselves are forgettable. What about the games from my lifetime?

Here's the ones that I remember.... and I've watched.

1983 Fred Lynn Grand Slam---I lived in Chicago. It was at Comiskey. The AL killed Atlee Hammaker and the NL. Earliest recollection.

1989 Bo Jackson Lead-Off HR Against Rick Reuschel---Bo Jackson. Need I say more? I was playing in a baseball game and heard about it. Watched the tape when I went home.

199X Somewhere In Here Tony Gwynn Raced Around To Score The Winning Run In Extra Innings ---I think.

2006 Didn't Trevor Shit The Bed here?---Total blur.

2007 Chris Young Gets The LOSS---The year I did an on-line voting blitz to get CY that last spot on the NL team. That worked out well. Jake Peavy started this game.

2008 Josh Hamilton goes crazy in Home Run Derby---NUTZZZZ!!!! Quick....who won the derby?

2009 Heath Bell gets the LOSS---For Fuck's SAKE!!!

I'm not going to look any of this crap up because then I would have the correct answers..... which I do not need. It's an All-Star game. Who cares*!!! If you care then share in the comments. I actually care to hear what you remember.

*Although I am eager to watch tonight's game!

No comments:

Post a Comment