Thursday, March 17, 2011

Trying to remember the 2010 Padres: Game 11 (all you can eat Brazilian... steakhouse)

I was recollecting these games far too easily so I took 3 weeks off to put myself to the test. Here it is!

For series explanation and previous installments [go here]

GAME 11 of 18
July 31st, 2010
Padres v. Marlins @Petco Park
(Saturday/ Field Box Sec 116)

WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

The Padres lost in a bad way. But I did get a Clayton Richard Bobblehead! This game was a loss but a win in that it was amongst friends.

I attended the game with my father-in-law, a great friend from college (Kent), and my old baseball coach (Dan) who I hadn't seen in years. I mean a lot of years. It was awesome to be amongst such fine people. And then the Padres lost.

***
I don't know who started for the Padres but I do know that Ricky Nolasco was the starter for the Marlins. He was fantastic until giving up a few late in the game and getting yanked (maybe the 7th inning).

Here's an interesting aside. While going to get a bratwurst in the 6th inning or so I spotted a fella wearing a Marlins jersey with the name Nolasco on the back. As I waited for a break in play I began a conversation with this guy, telling him that he had picked a good night to wear a Nolasco jersey.

As it turned out, he was the HS baseball coach of Ricky Nolasco. We got to talking about this that and the other an entire inning had passed. That may not sound like a long time but it was. Nolasco gave up a few and then there was a pitching change and before I knew it I had learned so much about this guy I thought we were on a date. Good times.

***
Pretty sure the final score was 6-3 Marlins and both Mike Stanton and Dan Uggla hit massive HRs.

***
When the game ended we needed food. By needed food I mean to say that we wanted the night to continue and there's nothing better to prolong a night than a long meal. Now, I had no business eating as I had just powered down a brat with peppers and enough mustard to kill a Scottish Terrier. This is an analogy that confuses me as well so I'll just skip to the part where we sojourned to Rei do Gado on 4th avenue. Have you ever been to Rei do Gado? It's a Brazillian Steakhouse and it's like Disneyland for those with an appetite. I didn't have an appetite but I went with my friends anyway. Nothing like catching up over a meal. While my digestive organs regretted it my soul did not and that's what matters most.

Source: Friendly memories... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

The Marlins defeat the Padres by a score of 6-3. Ricky Nolasco got the win improving to 12-7 and Kevin Correia took the L dropping to 7-7.

***
Nolasco's win improved his record to 7-1 in his last 8 starts. He was filthy that night. I was actually wrong about how good he performed. He made it into the 9th inning, recording one out, before Adrain Gonzalez' 2 run single bounced him from the game.

What does this really mean? It means I was eating a bratwurst in the 8th inning and not the 6th inning when I was talking to Nolasco's HS coach... and then I went to an all you can eat steakhouse. That's never good.

***
Dan Uggla's homer was huge and Mike Stanton's was just ridiculous. Watch it here.

Quotable:
"Two bad pitches to two guys with a lot of power," said Correia, who struck out four batters and walked four. "That's usually the result. They were just off-speed pitches that stayed up. Those aren't the two guys to miss to." 
No kidding.

Attendance: 42,072. If head's bobble fans will come.


NOTABLE OMISSIONS...


Adrian Gonzalez' 2 RBI single knocked Nolasco from the game in the 9th. This made me feel good. Once again the Padres battled back and gave themselves a chance.

***
The Padres had just acquired Ryan Ludwick at the trade deadline and was set to arrive in San Diego the next day when the Padres were to face Marlins ace, Josh Johnson. You remember that game don't you? Facing a sweep the Padres battled Johnson and ultimately won when Ryan Ludwick took part in a big late inning rally. That was great.

***
Scott Hairston did what he always does at games I attend.

***
The Padres sat in 1st place at 60-42.
Source: Padres.com (Gina Mizell) and Baseball Reference


LASTING IMPRESSIONS...

The Padres had dropped two in-a-row but still held first place with the Dodgers looming on the horizon. I had never felt so good as a fan than when I heard Jed Hoyer went out at the deadline to get Ryan Ludwick. I was filled with hope.

Kind of sad really.

1 comment:

  1. I hate those damn signs telling you to wait for the next out but I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with you Mike. Hopefully we can do it again a couple times again this season!

    ReplyDelete