Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's A Wrap: Padres Trade Deadline Business

Is slugger Jesus Guzman a reason to watch as 2011 winds down?
On Monday I sat down with 619 Sports' Craig Elsten to give a local view of the trade deadline that came to pass at 1pm on Sunday.

I'm no expert--just a fan--so while Craig asked me about the particulars of the Mike Adams and Ryan Ludwick trades (and the Heath Bell-non trade) the real question was... "why". Why will I continue to go to games. Do I believe in the plan that has been presented by the Padres front office? 

 I answered these questions in the affirmative.

I know. You watched last night's 1-0 shutout at the hands of the Dodgers and you think I'm certifiably crazy to endorse this team as it is right now. It is my reasoning however that you should give credence to when deciding to continue to head to games or flip on the TV. There are important things to come for this team....


I give my reasoning beginning at the 13:30 mark of the podcast and then we proceed to talk for roughly 25 minutes culminating with a proposed introduction of a Failed Trade Acquisitions Bobblehead set. And then we talk about how Ray Lankford is worse than bigamy. It's kind of funny. Check it out at 619 Sports.

What comes before the 13:30 mark in the podcast, you ask?

Ah, you're smarter than I look. This is the must listen part of the podcast. Craig discusses the trades with Sports Illustrated's Joe Sheehan. Sheehan gives his takes on Hoyer's moves but more importantly lends insights into the Heath Bell situation. The Heath Bell analysis is required listening for those who are taking the stance that The Padres Must Give Heath Bell, The Face Of The Franchise, A Multi-Year Contract.... 

Give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

You crave knowledge so I'd be negligent in my duties if I did not direct you to a place where you could attain it.

Bryant over at Woe Doctor did a solid write-up about the trade deadline and you would do well to head over and read it. He and I share similar thoughts on what went down last Sunday. In addition to his analysis of the trades Bryant provides some invaluable links regarding the prospects (Robbie Erland and Joe Weiland) acquired from Texas last Sunday. The analysis is courtesy of a few of the best baseball minds out there: Keith Law, Kevin Goldstein, and Jason Parks. They are must read/listen.

You need more? Glad you asked.

There have been some great interviews conducted over at XX1090 this week. Jeff Moorad, Jed Hoyer, Jason McLeod, Keith Law, et. al. make appearances. Rather than give you the links to each one of these interviews I'm going to give you a link to the XX1090 podcenter and you can choose what you like (look at material beginning August 1st). These podcasts are important to digest... they'll help you sift through all the BS out there.

If there's one certainty in this world it is that San Diego Padres fans must have their bullsh*t detectors functioning at all times.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment