Thursday, June 14, 2012

Forgetting birthdays and turning three

From time to time I work with young people in my non-AJM life. It is part of the curiosity of youth, let's call it "make-up", to want to know my age. So they guess and they guess. And they guess some more. I admonish them when I determine that they have guessed far too high and I smile profusely and offer them thanks when they come in at the low end. Ultimately, I never tell them my age. It is not information that they need.

As the youngsters offer their educated guesses I often pause and silently ask of myself, "How old are you?"


 
I'm at that age now where I don't really think about age so when people ask it generally takes a couple of seconds for me to gather myself. And then I guess the age I'm about to turn. When I self correct and realize I'm younger I get really happy. It's all very weird

Mrs AJM asks, "What do you want to do for your birthday?" 

I reply, "When is it?"

I don't know if you're like this, only that I am. This amusing anecdote is my way of conveying to you, good reader, that I have forgotten that Avenging Jack Murphy recently celebrated a birthday, turning three years old on June 6th.

I had blogged under the name "Hate the Patriots" for about 10 months prior to the name change. I began blogging about the Chargers, hating the Patriots, Voodoo dolls, Jessica Alba, and pretty much anything else in the sports world. Those were things that people read. Now I blog entirely about the Padres, which people don't really read. My choices . . . all very weird.

Since I only blog about the Padres I'm in a bit of a quandary. You see, I live in a Time Warner Cable zone, and Direct TV is also unavailable. Since I can't watch the Padres with regularity I find it difficult to write about the Padres with regularity. I blame Time Warner. And John Moores.

For those of you who stop by religiously, thanks. I'll try and do a better job of giving you something to read.

As I offer a belated birthday to myself I also want to apologize to the brave men who stormed the beaches at Normandy during Operation Overlord. I did not intentionally choose the anniversary of your heroic act to be the launch date for this debacle of a weblog.

Historians have offered that D-Day was arguably the most important day of the 20th century. I hope I have not sullied your accomplishments by borrowing your date in history to commemorate Avenging Jack Murphy . . . which certainly must rank as one of the least important day of the 21st century.

Happy reads, brothers and sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment