Sunday, June 7, 2009

18 inning Marathon brings end to poor homestand


The Padres finished the week with a 1-5 mark after having fallen to the D-backs in 18 innings this afternoon. There was no shame in losing 9-6 after back-up SS Josh Wilson had to take the hill in the 18th. We had been left for dead in the 7th.

The missus and I managed to get some prime seats for this one--we salute you Mark---and also arranged for a babysitter....now guess if we made the whole game?

I had my first beer in the top of the 1st inning. From there on out I chose to remain seated so as to avoid the unnecessary up hill walk from behind the Pads dugout. Not one trip to the Head and after the initial 5 for $5 only a few bucks spent on an ice cold coke....it was hot.

I'm currently showcasing a bit of a lobster burn. It was overcast when we walked out the door and we failed to pack that one essential. In the bottom of the seventh, getting blanked 6-0, I looked at the Missus as people began to filter out of the park and I poetically stated,

"You can say a lot of things about this team but you can't say they're quitters so we'll wait and see what happens."

Kouz then homered in the 7th and bedlam struck in the 9th when the little Eckstein blasted a Chad Qualls pitch straight down the LF line. 6-6. All tied up.
Sean M. Haffey/Union Tribune
I used my cell phone to Tweet the following:



.....and then I proceeded to violate every thing I stand for as a human being and we left after the 12th inning (my wife made me leave). Truthfully, the quarters ran out on the babysitter, so off we went.

The walk to the car consumed the 13th inning and the drive home got the 14th and 15th.

The 16th was consumed by the babysitter debrief....

I had my second beer of the day in the top of the 17th inning, middle infielders started pitching the 18th inning and colossal strikeout machines (Mark Reynolds) began hitting round trippers.......so I finally applied aloe-vera to my sun damaged skin. What happened to the June gloom?

Hey Kids---Build in extra innings to any babysitting arrangement and always bring the sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment