Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Wade Boggs Effect: Awe Inspiring


The blogosphere is fantastic because of the connectedness that exists. Within two or three degrees you can stumble on to some of the funniest things......it just takes a couple of clicks.

I was reading a blog that I usually frequent and decided to click one of the many blog links in the reading list. One click beget another and before you could say Miller Lite I was at a Toronto Blue Jays site called Drunk Jays Fans. Their banner was funny enough for me to scroll down and that's where I found the '80s Hitting machine, Wade Boggs.

It's a Blue Jays site. If I see Wade Boggs's head suspended in thin air with a #70 stamped on his throat, you can be sure I'm going to click it to find out, "The Story Of The Boggs Head."

It was a story I had heard before but had somehow misplaced. This tale lay dormant for the last couple of years somewhere between the SARS RV trip to SLO and one of the many nights at the 'Comber. It was a legendary tale of Wade Boggs.....and the Drunk Jays Fans had memorialized it. Here is an excerpt from the post which was a radio interview transcript between a Seattle station and former Yankee, Jeff Nelson...

Sandy: Who would you say drank the most beer out of everyone you ever played with?
Nelson: Easy, Wade Boggs…..easy

Sandy: (laughing) Really!? Wade Boggs?
Nelson: Oh, yeah, without a doubt. I’ve never seen anyone drink as much beer as he did in my life.

Sandy: (laughing) Get outta here, alright, give me an example, like how much did he drink?
Nelson: Oh, I’d say, on a typical road trip, east coast to west coast [Nelly played with Boggs on the Yankees], say a road game to Seattle……Wade would drink anywhere between 50 and 60 beers.

Sandy: NO WAY!! 50 or 60 beers. That is impossible.
Nelson: No, I know…I know how crazy that sounds, and I wouldn’t believe it myself unless I saw him do it…..numerous times. And he drank nothing but Miller Lite.

50 or 60??? How could I have forgotten a story like that? Nelson would go on to explain how Wade went about his mass consumption and then decided to call former teammate Paul Sorrento as a corroborating witness:

Nelly: Hey Paul, good to hear from you man, I haven’t talked to you in a while.
Sorrento: Yeah, what’s it been like, two, three years?

Nelly: Yeah. Hey, Paul, just to clarify now, I didn’t speak to you over the commercial break, and I haven’t talked to you about anything since we last talked a few years ago right?
Sorrento: Yeah, right.

Nelly: Alright Paul, we’ve been talking about Wade Boggs up here today in Seattle.
Sorrento: (laughing) Yeah, ole Wade huh.

Nelly: Yeah, alright Paul, I need you to answer one question for me, truthfully now….How many beers would Wade Boggs drink on an east coast to west coast road trip?
Sorrento: Oh, jeez, (exhaling like a flat tire) I don’t know, like 70.

Now is the time where we hear it straight from Wade Boggs's mouth....



Wade IS lying! If he didn't drink 64 it was obscenely close to it...so close that he couldn't admit it lest he be judged an addict (didn't he have a sex addiction?).

I bring this up for a reason........Alfred.

If Wade Boggs could accomplish this on a 7 hour east coast/west coast swing, what could one do on a round trip Coaster ride from San Diego up to Anaheim
sandwiched around a ball game?

Pick up the beer on your way, buddy..........

How 'bout the rest of you? How close have you been to Boggs-like perfection?


2 comments:

  1. 70 Boggs ? Quite an achievement, or is it? Lets check the pantless slugger's pace against that of a couple of the Avengers' Finest.

    First the timeframe for Boggs:
    2hrs from EOG in NY to plane flight across country, 6hrs Newark to Seattle plus a 1 hour stopover in Milwaukee, 2 more hours carousing around Seattle before the Boss sez "Lights Out!" equals 11 hours total. 70/11=6.363 BPH (these numbers are completely accurate...trust me). Now the avengers; 1.5 hrs on a northbound silverbullet=8 Boggs + 1 Boggs in a 1/2 hr waiting for Big Brother=8 Boggs in 2 hrs. 9/2=4.5 BPH...a mere 1.863 off of HOF pace! With a little training 6.363 is definitely possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this the site was useful, thought I would share.
    FOREX Forum
    Forex Focus Daily is the fastest growing FOREX forum community developed for all levels of traders.

    ReplyDelete