Friday, May 7, 2010

Better Recognize....the SD on my hat!

Long, long, ago I went traipsing through the United Kingdom. While there, I left no stones unturned in England, Scotland and Wales (gross exaggeration). In Wales, I made my way to a ferry and hopped over to Ireland, as well. Through it all I wore my San Diego Padres hat (navy blue with orange and white interlocking "SD"). The mother country is a damp place and the constant precipitation (not to mention perspiration) turned that hat into a dank mess. But I cared not for appearances. I wore my SD with pride. I was representin'!

I wonder how Padres owner Jeffrey Moorad feels about the ol' "SD"? Oh, hey....there's an on-line copy of the San Diego Metropolitan magazine with an article on Padres owner Jeffrey Moorad......I wonder if he has an opinion:
Whenever Jeff Moorad speaks, you’ll see him proudly sporting a new Padres logo: “SD” it reads.
“There aren’t many cities in the country that are known by just their initials,” Moorad told members of Rotary Club of Coronado in April. “There’s LA, NY and maybe SF. We should market San Diego: SD. It’s got great cache around the world.”
Hey there you go, Mr. Moorad! I knew that he and I were simpatico. The "SD" is pretty explicit whereas a hat with an interlocking "CR" (a la the team in Colorado) is a concept that just leaves foreigners dazed and confused, the world over. Alright for the "SD"!

Ever since those days of travelin' around representing San Diego I've started to notice how many different Padre color schemes there are adorning this city's fans. It's a pretty disjointed fan-base and the roots of this disunion seem to have been sown when blue was introduced as a primary color. (click "Read More" to continue)


I suppose it makes sense to choose blue from a marketing standpoint......it's a cool color....people dig it....people buy it. But blue, in and of itself, is antithetical to the idea of a Padre. The monks who would have once been found constructing missions along the coast of what is today California did not cloak themselves in robes of blue but that of the color brown. When the Padres were introduced as the newest National League entrant in 1969 there was brown in the uniform.....and it made sense.....because Padres/Friars/Monks wore robes of brown.

I envision the fans of San Diego arriving at Petco Park all under one banner......that of our team's heritage. One team; one city; one color. I have a feeling that Jeff Moorad feels EXACTLY as I do.......a return to our roots, if you will. Let's see what Mr. Moorad had to say in the SD Metropolitan magazine:
Part of his vision for branding the Padres was to give away 40,000 Padres blue T-shirts on opening day.
“I want the fans to wear blue,” he said, “and for the team to look up and see that support in the stands.”
Uhhh........more blue, eh? No brown? But Padres are......supposed to be.......well, brown. Well [applause] I do like that "SD" concept. Good on ya, Mr. Moorad!

Is the discussion on "Brown" closed? Yes....no.....get back to me. No? Ok.

[cheers to Gaslamp Ball for link]

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, yes. The eternal brown/gold vs. navy blue/sand debate. It's been a topic of discussion among my friends and I for years. And I think we're a pretty evenly split bunch on the subject. About the same number of friends who have weighed in for a return to the brown/gold have voiced their desire to keep the navy blue/sand colorway. I myself have to go with the navy blue/sand colors. Not only are they NOT UGLY, as I think the brown/gold combo is, but I think they look downright nice, and somehow infuse the environment of Petco into the uniforms (please don't ask me to elaborate on that - I have no idea why these team colors feel to me as if a they should belong to a team that plays by the bay, in a stadium framed by "my" beautiful Coronado bridge. They just do, alright?). But here's where I just can't make accommodations - the swinging friar needs to be in brown/gold. Always. I absolutely love that logo, always have and always will. But the nostalgia associated with him is markedly less when I see him galavanting around the left field reserve section (my friends and I are cheap dude, no Toyota Terrace for us) in his blue robe. Just looks like something's off when I see him in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in agreement with the use of the "sand" color scheme. I've heard people say that the "sand" is ugly to which I say...hogwash! It's unique and an improvement over road grays.

    If you want to see what our uniforms should look like (or round about) go
    here

    Too much blue in the league (think: a-holes 2 hours north).

    Brown is unique. It's how the Padres began. Let's own it.

    I respect your opinion Matt and it appears that as long as Moorad is at the helm your blues will be safe.

    ps--Ix-nay on the Friar-mascot-a...if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete