Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Could Only Afford to Throwback to 1984.....at least I didn't wear red


The Padres are wearing the 1978 Brown Away jerseys for the remainder of midweek day games this season.....so.....I felt moderately douchey on account of being decked out in my 1984 gear. On the other hand, I feel as though the spirit of the day was maintained as I went retro by 25 years. Surely I cannot be thought ill of based on such efforts. A home white 1978 Dave Winfield/Gaylord Perry jersey may be in my future.... 

THE GAME
Padres lost. Eleven whole runs scored. Cardinals averted the sweep. I scribed an open letter to a misdirected faction of Padre fans.

Dear Misdirected Faction:

My name is Mike. Some address me by the handle Avenger-in-Chief but the choice is yours really. I am compelled to point out to you that Padres fans are a mottled lot, adorned in nearly every spectrum of gear that has been introduced since the glorious incarnation.....the year of our lord nineteen-hundred and sixty nine. As such there tends to be a general lacking of fan cohesion at home games. The fan-gear color patterns are so disparate it can be difficult for the casual fan let alone those of the die-hard ilk to decipher the locale when watching on television.

Let there be no mistake however, that when the TV is turned on to a torrent of red there is little doubt that the St. Louis Cardinals are one of the teams involved. The same goes for Cardinal games on the road. A virtual Red Sea of fans. During the yearly Cardinals series at Petco this Red Sea will often find itself being parted on Tony Gwynn Drive only to reconstitute itself within the confines of Petco Park. Its an ugly sight to find yourself not only vastly outnumbered by the opposition but to see that they have come to a consensus on a common color (red) thus heightening the effect of their presence. I do not like red. I do not like it in our park. I do not like it in the dark. 


Don't wear RED YOU IDIOT PADRE FANS!!!!In front of me to the left was a fan wearing a Padre hat and a BRIGHT RED t-shirt. In front of me to the right was a fan wearing a Padre shirt and a random BRIGHT RED hat. Don't wear RED YOU IDIOTS!!! Even if its not the Cardinals in town.....DON'T WEAR RED YOU IDIOTS!!! For the Love of Scott Brosius, it's a Padres game!!!
Respectfully
A Non-Red Wearing Padre Fan

I'm serious. Don't wear red into Petco Park.....and a giant F-U to the dude decked out in the Russell Martin Jersey and LAtrine hat. F-U!!!

6 comments:

  1. Tell us how you really feel. Be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I right?

    And FUCK Dodger fans in Petco. Especially the jag-offs who show up in their gear to non-Dodger games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they were closet Cardinal fans who haven't come to terms with it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you're right.

    But where's the hate for the tools who wear jerseys for teams from other sports? Like the jackass in the Cowboys jersey? Or the one sporting the Blackhawks sweater?

    Those are the guys (and occasionally girls) I feel need a nice, swift roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris to the head...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Homer Well that's a whole other post. One that should be written.

    @Mike I KNEW it! You wore a red shirt with your Padre hat didn't you? A special case you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @AIC don't be ridiculous. I went to Thursday's game too, and I can assure you I didn't wear a red shirt.

    ReplyDelete