Friday, May 21, 2010

The Week In Padres: my internal clock has been destroyed

This is where I write a post about not writing posts.
I made a comment last Sunday about Dick Enberg and his constant love of the enemy and then figured I'd a-keep-on-a-rolling with my commentary as I entered this week. I'd have plenty to say as the plan was to get out to the park on Monday to see the Padres battle the Giants for NL West supremacy. I went to the park.....and my body clock hasn't been the same since....

MONDAY:
I bought a park pass for 5 bucks. When I tried to sneak down to a prime location I was caught by Stan the Usher and sent packing. It was OK. I parked up in the standing room only section positioned behind home plate and chatted with a Giants fan for the rest of the game. I enjoyed telling the fan about Matt Cain's Curse and how they had better win tonight because they had NO CHANCE against Latos on Tuesday night.

Truth be told, it's one of the best seats (errr...standing locations) in the park. Great view (although you can't see the jumbo-tron) of a game. I even had a great view of the yahoos who ran on to the field during the 9th inning.....at which point my week began to unravel. The delay that these clowns caused ensured that I wouldn't be getting home until an unsuitably late hour.....an hour that would be sure to have an adverse affect on my systems' functions for the remainder of the week. Sure enough, while excited about a Padre victory, I woke up pretty tired on Tuesday morning. (click "Read More" to continue)

TUESDAY
Tuesday's game was a disaster. The Padres lost with Latos on the hill.....but the loss was so much worse than that. It was an extra innings loss. Losing in extras is excruciating! So disappointing as we failed to win in regulation (Adams gave up the game tying dong in the 8th) thus setting the stage for another long game. Don't get me wrong......I enjoy extras......but I was tired......I needed to catch-up.

WEDNESDAY
Wednesday's game was awesome in that it was all of the following:
  • A win!
  • A win by an impressive margin (10-5)!
  • A win against the Dodgers!
  • A near cycle by Will Venable!
Wednesday's game was an utter nightmare sequence in that it was all of the following:
  • A game in which Jon Garland pitched!
Seriously.....for a game that ended in 9 innings it felt like a 3-OT Stanley Cup conference final game. Take Garland's deliberate presence and put it in tandem with an offensive outburst and you have the makings of an eternity. I've been calling Jon Garland "The Mike Hargrove". I think that nickname could just as easily be interchanged with Jon "Extra Innings" Garland. He may not pitch into extras but I sure feel like I've been taken there.

The game ended. I was still tired...

THURSDAY
I was dead to the world on Thursday. The lack of sleep caught up to me and I shattered world records for complete uselessness. I watched a little of the game. I watched all of Lost. I checked the score in the 8th. I went to sleep.

FRIDAY
Right. Disappointed to find there there was no comeback against Kershaw and company and the Padres took a 4-1 loss. Friars still in first. I am well rested.......time to prepare for our HATED inter-league rival. Seattle Mariners on tap this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment