Thursday, January 27, 2011

Padres Uniform Decisions In A Vacuum

I'm not saying the Padres need to use a vacuum to clean up the mess that is their new road gray uniform; although there are others who would gladly volunteer for the job. The title of said job could be called, Sucker of Suck.

Hmmm...... maybe I would volunteer for this fantasy job. Whoa, this analogy is coming undone at the seams. Let us move on...

The new away gray jersey is actually pretty awesome looking... if I were living in a vacuum... void of any real context of the game of baseball or the geography of southern California and its teams.


Sometimes I think Jeff Moorad et al. make their decisions while living in this vacuum. He has talked before of this desire to see people traversing the grounds of Petco dressed in Padre Blue.  

"Padre Blue" is actually a euphemism for "Good morning. Allow me to throw monkey feces at you!" Doesn't make any sense does it? Nor does the idea of Padre Blue because it is Padres who are brown and Dodgers who are in fact blue.

Moorad is so hellbent on this notion of Padre Blue that he introduced a nice looking away jersey that fails to consider the miserable similarity to our rivals in Los Angeles.

I have unfortunate news for Mr. Moorad. Many other teams in Major League Baseball wear blue uniforms including our next door neighbors... who we tend to LOATHE!

I love the color blue but when it comes to the Padres I am more than willing to concede to the team residing in Los Angeles. The Dodgers can have blue. As a franchise their history is more steeped in tradition than ours and we should defer to them on the matter of uniforms (I will make no other concessions to this franchise, however). Let them have blue. It's theirs.

Let us have brown. It is ours.

***
I never had a big issue with the away Sand uniforms. I didn't think they made the Padres look like they had urinated on themselves like others have suggested. But I do understand the desire to be traditional and gray is nothing if not traditional.

***
Here's some commentary(and pictures) of the other uniform changes in San Diego this week, courtesy of RJ's Fro.

***
Everyone had given an opinion on the uniforms this week and this is mine, for what it's worth. I am like Jeff Moorad in that I appreciate tradition. It is respect for tradition which always brings me back to the Padres inaugural uniform of 1969. Enough brown to establish a connection to a Padre/Friar without being too over-the-top. Let's save the over-the-top for Throwback Thursday's... another tradition of which I am fond.

3 comments:

  1. Please check out my Facebook group -- "The San Diego Padres should switch back to brown uniforms!!"

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/The-San-Diego-Padres-should-switch-back-to-brown-uniforms/121502057874146

    I LOVE this column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... thanks for the invite John... but I'm already a part of your group!

    Thanks for stopping by. Spread the word of AJM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, awesome. I'm on your page and you're on mine. Now if only Jeff Moorad & Co. would get the message!

    ReplyDelete