Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trying to remember the 2010 Padres: Game 2 (quashing rebellions)

You have entered a site engaged in a highly complex experiment... an experiment designed to test the parameters of my mind. These are my memories of Padres games attended during the 2010 season.

The nature of these posts (being my own game experiences) may be of zero interest to you; therefore I understand any antipathy towards them.

However, if you were at any of these games or remember watching them on the tube then join the wake and eulogize/comment with some memories. For further explanation [go here]

GAME 2 of 18
April 25th, 2010
Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres) v. High Desert Mavericks (A's ???) @ The Diamond in Lake Elsinore, Ca.

 WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

Again, kind of easy to remember, as it was my first trip to Lake Elsinore to see the Padres High A team play. There were a few interesting wrinkles to this game that made it memorable...

***
This was a Sunday game scheduled as a double header due to a rain out a few days prior. In a quirky "this-is-minor-league-baseball" sort of thing, each game was scheduled to go 7 innings. The Storm lost each game but I only stayed for one.

***
By "I", I mean "We". 

I took one of the daughters to this game and it was only her second baseball game ever attended (the first being back in 2008 against the Twins at Petco). I was able to corral her into a seat until the 4th inning at which time an insurrection began.

Hot dogs and pretzels can contain tiny ones for only so long; thankfully The Diamond has a grass area down the RF line where the rebellions of children can be quelled. It's a great venue to catch a game with family.

***
First round draft picks, Nick Schmidt (2007) and Allan Dykstra (2008), were in action during this game. Neither was impressive. Dykstra however was impressive in that he looked like Jim Thome... his physique and swing... not the results it produced. Schmidt, a left hander, got the loss.

***
For the Storm, Vince Belnome homered as did Yefri Carvajal.

***
Storm Manager Carlos Lezcano was bounced late in the game on a bad call at 2B. It was AWESOME! He bounced his helmet off the turf about 20 feet into the air.

Source: My Beautiful Mind... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

The Storm lost to High Desert 4-2 in 7 innings. I did not stay for game 2 but it was also a loss for the Storm (10-2).

***
I was correct about the HRs from Vince Belnome and Yefri Carvajal.

***
Schmidt went 5 innings (4 runs/3 earned), struck out 4 and walked 3. Schmidt got the loss.


NOTABLE OMISSIONS...

The Mavericks are actually the High A team for the Seattle Mariners. Having said that, I can now recall my thoughts at the time... this is wear the seeds are sown for the most heated inter-league rivalry in MLB... The San Diego Padres and the Seattle Mariners. Blood feuds start early. Not sure if I explained this to the daughter.

***
Daniel Robertson had a couple of knocks (2 for 3)

***
Allan Dykstra went 1 for 3 boosting his average to .196 for the young season. Ouch!

***
Cole Figueroa started at SS for the Storm. Figueroa was a part of the recent Jason Bartlett trade. Bartlett, as a former Padre property, played for the Storm back in 2002. So in that sense... I feel like I saw Bartlett play in this game... in a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way.

Sources: LE Storm website

Join me... at least 16 more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment