Monday, January 24, 2011

Trying to remember the 2010 Padres: Game 3 (Houston... we have a Beerfest?)

You have entered a site engaged in a highly complex experiment... an experiment designed to test the parameters of my mind... and it is about to seriously unravel.

If you were at any of the games I've been rehashing or remember watching them on the tube then join my little Irish Wake and splash the comment section with your alcohol laden commemorations! For further series explanation [go here]

GAME 3 of 18
April 30th, 2010
Padres v. Brewers @ Petco Park


WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

Beerfest?

***
There are serious recollection issues on this one, friends. Let me see...

I believe this particular game was a part of the brilliantly conceived but poorly executed Beerfest hosted by the Broken Lizard comedy troupe. I'm basing this quasi-gut-feeling on the opponent. I seem to recall the comedic connection between having a Beer Fest prior to a game against the Brewers. I guess it's not really that funny.

***
Like I said, great concept for Beerfest, but it was a logistical snafu right off the bat. I arrived with my buddy Al but we shunned the lines, instead settling for a Petco Park beverage over the choice microbrews of San Diego. There was just no denting the lines. We cursed Tom Garfinkel!

***
Perhaps a Friarhood meet-up as well? If so, I seem to recall sitting with SDPads1 of RJ's Fro and also meeting Mel from The Sacrifice Bunt.

***
The Padres win this game for sure. I'm going with a 3-0 shutout of the vaunted Milwaukee offense of Braun, Fielder, Hart, et. al.

***
Weren't we starting to feel pretty good about the Padres at this point? I think the Milwaukee series saw the Padres staff begin to really assert itself allowing maybe just a couple of runs in a 4 game (?) series.

***
I have no idea how the Padres scored. I have no idea who pitched. Did I just make up a bunch of stuff?

Source: An overactive imagination... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

Phewwww! It was the Beerfest game! I guess I should be thankful that the opponent was the Brewers, giving me cause to connect the beer soaked dots.

***
The Padres did in fact win the game 3-0 with Clayton Richard (1-2) getting the "W" after throwing 6 innings and striking out 8. Dave Bush was the big loser.

***
With April coming to an end the Padres improved their record to 15-8 after blanking the Brewers in consecutive games by an aggregate score of 12-0. The Padres and Brewers would split the next two games; a 2-1 loss for Mat Latos but a series clinching win on Sunday for Jon Garland by a score of 8-0. Trevor Hoffman saved the lone win for the Brewers.

***
As I said, the Padres had taken the 1st two games of the series by scoring 12 runs. Care to guess who went 0 for 8 with 1 walk in those two wins? I think the Padres offense will survive in 2011.

***
Attendance-- 29,366. Pretty weak considering it was a Friday during a sustained run of success...with a BEERFEST promotion! Alas, it would be the attendance story of the season.

NOTABLE OMISSIONS...

GAB: Gregerson (7th), Adams (8th), and Bell (9th) made quick work of the Brewers resulting in a speedy game time of 2:46.

***
BRO-B-I in full effect: in a 1-0 game in the 7th, Scott Hairston hit a pinch hit blast plating he and brother Jerry. The HR was vintage Hairston. Since his arrival from Arizona in 2007 he hit quite a few memorable homers at Petco that looked just like this one. Scotty was never afraid of Petco; too bad we couldn't have seen more of these.

Give it a look... it was a no doubter.

***
Shutout streak of 24 innings for Padres pitching staff.

***
This was the Padres 10th win in 11 games.

***
New Padres catcher Greg Zaun was behind the plate for the Brewers going 1 for 3 with a walk.

***
Tony Gwynn Jr., the evening's hitting star, went 2 for 3 with a walk and a run scored. TGJ finished April hitting .255 with a .758 OPS. However, Gwynn the Younger, could not maintain his torrid April pace; he now plies his trade in what I like to refer to as an Overcrowded Version of Hell (Los Angeles).

Sources: Baseball Reference & Padres.com

LASTING IMPRESSIONS...

Shut outs are cool. An expertly planned Beerfest may have been even MORE cool. Going to games with friends and meeting more once there is the very definition of good times... and a hangover.

***
It's a beautiful day... let's play 15... more of these.

5 comments:

  1. Beerfest was a letdown of epic proportions. I was pretty excited about it because A) I like beer B) I like Broken Lizard and C) I like Padres baseball. It seemed like a can't lose for me. Little did I know that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

    I'm surprised the Padres actually won and I'm also surprised the ground didn't open up and eat Petco Park up that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember ditching everybody at the Hall of Fame Bar in order to go get a real beer at Neighborhood prior to first pitch.

    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you guys make it to Beerfest Part II? I don't recall hearing how that went.

    Let's just do our own beerfest this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, like Melvin, did go to Octoberfest (AKA Beerfest II). It was wayyyy better. The band sucked balls but I actually got some beers from the tents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that game was a lot of fun. It all started when I wandered into the game by myself without much of a plan, as I have a philosophical disagreement with planning ahead.

    I knew a few forum guys would be there, but they abandoned ship (see Bryant's comment above) after realizing the entire ballpark had less beer than a Mormon birthday party.

    It ended up being a rad time though.

    Beerfest Part II was a lot of fun as well, in more of a drunken stupor kind of way.

    ReplyDelete