Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Trying to remember the 2010 Padres: Game 4 (the rehab assignment)

You have entered a site engaged in a highly complex experiment... an experiment designed to test the parameters of my mind....and my mind is becoming stronger with each exercise. All of my neurons are functioning smoothly...

If you were at any of these games of which I speak or remember watching them to an Enberg/Grant soundtrack then I suggest you test yourself too. There are a number of ways to can do this. Begin by closing your eyes. Then grit your teeth. Now think. When you're finished start reading. I'm going for a glass of water.

For further series explanation [go here]

GAME 4 of 18
May 6th, 2010
Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres) v. Inland Empire 66ers (Dodgers) @ The Diamond in Lake Elsinore, Ca.

WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

Of my first four games in 2010 two of them were at Lake Elsinore. This was also my last Storm (Padres) game and as such I have little difficulty recalling the details.

***
I went to this game with Friarhood Steve and Cheri Bell. Once there we met up with Peter Friberg and a friend met through Twitter named Chris (aka @Sportsbrain). Going to games with particular people and meeting others there helps to frame a game, gives it those peripheral details needed to bring the picture into focus.

***
You know what else helps to frame a game? A promotion like Thirsty Thursday where beers are sold for a buck until the 7th inning. I love minor league promotions.

***
Minor league baseball games have another great feature; the rehabilitation assignment. And it was on this Thirsty Thursday in early May when the Storm faced the 66ers that fans were treated to an appearance by Manny Ramirez. Heckling is so appealing.

***
The Diamond was loaded with Dodger fans which was actually pretty cool; they got to witness firsthand a strikeout and a base running blunder from their fading star... and a loss.

***
The Storm won in what was a close game until a late inning explosion by the Storm.

***
Nick Schmidt (2007 1st round pick) started again but did not figure into the decision. I don't remember the exact score but I'm pretty sure the 8th inning lasted an 1:45. No joke.

Source: Extra helpings of blueberries... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

The Storm's Nick Schmidt threw 6 innings. He gave up 3 runs (2 ER) while striking out 4 and walking 4. Tough to get a win that way.

***
The Storm defeated the 66ers 11-7  by pounding away on IE with 13 hits. After overcoming a 7-3 deficit in the 8th by scoring 8 runs things got dicey in the top of the 9th.

***
Closer Brad Brach came on in the 9th to get the last out and the save.

***
Pitcher Zachary Herr got the win after a fortuitous entry in the top of the 8th. No evidence exists to support the idea that he is the offspring of the old Cardinals' 2nd baseman, Tommy Herr.

***
Beer concession figures were unavailable.

***
Attendance--3,833

NOTABLE OMISSIONS...

Brad Brach earned the save and would go on to set the California League record with 41 saves in 2010. Brach was a 42nd round draft pick out of Monmouth University by the Padres in 2008.


***
Third basemen Vincent Belnome went 2 for 2 with 3 walks, 2 RBI, and 2 runs scored. Belnome was a 28th round draft pick out of West Virginia University in 2009.


***
Catcher Michael Collins went 3 for 5 including a double and an RBI. Collins is from Australia.

LASTING IMPRESSIONS...

So, what is it that I take from my two games of minor league ball? Pretty simple really. A team like the Storm is a conduit for 1st rounders to one day (hopefully) make their way to San Diego. These top picks came with accolades but most importantly they arrived with projections. For 1st round picks it's the projections that matter; they procure the big time bonus checks that secure a future while they toil away in the Cal, Texas, and Pacific Coast leagues.

Not all are as fortunate. The Notable Omissions I mentioned above (Brach, Belnome, and Collins), were acquired by the Padres for a specific but entirely different type of purpose; they're needed to fill out a roster so the 1st rounders can play and develop*. They are not projected to be the future in San Diego.

But during the time I watched the Storm play during 2010 these Notable Omissions were the stars.

***
 Go see some minor league ball because you never know who'll end up in San Diego one day. I got dibs on the discovery of Vincent Belnome!

Source: Lake Elsinore Storm website

*I recently finished The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst so I may have just borrowed his phrasing on the subject.

3 comments:

  1. I remember how good my seats were that game, me and my friend harrassed Tranny everytime he came up to bat. I think my chosen chant was, "Hey Whoopie called, she wants her hair back"
    Not my best line, but it was $1 beer night and I drank copious amounts that night

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good time, from the carpool up to the out of control rally in the 8th. Here are the photos from that night http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=146394&l=91e8beb930&id=100000653646241

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rally was crazy. What an interesting game. Let's do it again.

    ReplyDelete