Thursday, December 29, 2011

The "You Don't Know Jack!" Year In Review: Crappy Writing Needs An Award Too

During the past three months I've written three scathing critiques of articles by locally based journalists. All writers will write an homage to suck here and there but when the piece has egregious factual errors that lead to deception amongst readers then comment must be put on the record. That is what I would like to think that I have done with the articles by Nick Canepa, Don Norcross, and Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton.

Were these articles the absolute worst written by professional journalists in San Diego during 2011? Likely not. But make no mistake, they were poorly constructed, riddled with errors, and completely "mailed-in" by their respective authors. And so I shall nominate them for worst of the year.

You can click the author's name above to go directly to the article or below you will find the links for the criticisms, which may be the easiest way to refresh your memory:

Nick Canepa Gets the FJMing He Deserves
FJM'd: Don Norcross and his subject, Padres GM Josh Byrnes
FJM'd: Hacksaw refuses to do the math that could be done on his fingers

Or perhaps your memory is pristine and you need not go through such time consuming acts; then now is the time to get yourself to the polls. Decision 2011!


2 comments:

  1. Love your style, man! I hope someday to never make your wall of shame! Of course, I don't get paid, so I have an excuse! Keep up the great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris.

    I'm not perfect and I'm not above reproach. None of us are.

    But the difference between "us" and "them" is that they are paid for their services. Because they are professionals.

    As bloggers we have become the watchdogs for lazy media members who mail it in and contribute to ignorance within San Diego. I find that unconscionable.

    There ARE actually (and amazingly) people of note who read these critiques. Perhaps that will lead to more quality work by the media in the future.

    Having said that, I will never shame someone who doesn't write professionally*.

    * I think I won't.

    ReplyDelete