Saturday, December 31, 2011

The "You Don't Know Jack!" Year In Review: Top Fives, Top Tens, Top Elevens

The posts that get the most traffic usually aren't the best written. They tend to be hot button topics or stories with a more national appeal. It's lame.  I look at the Google Analytics which provides the statistical breakdown of what people are viewing and I'm often left with a one word question: "Why?"

The following is a list of eleven posts which I felt were crafted. They were creative pieces. Some imaginary. Some exaggerated. Some that required research. But at their core, all were painstakingly crafted. Which is what writers do.

I enjoyed writing each of these and I sincerely hope that you enjoyed reading them. If you missed one give it a go. Thanks.


A Terrible Trevor Hoffman Fan [January 13th, 2011]
Trevor Hoffman's retirement put me in a state of reflection. I thought about his time as a Padre. Ultimately I realized that I needed Trevor to retire before I could fully appreciate him.

FDR and the Pacific Coast League's San Diego Padres [January 28th 2011]
I wrote this for RJ's Fro and it was inspired by the research of Bill Swank, the PCL Padre guru. I think I built slightly on Swank's work by giving a little more context to the time period in which the Padres arrived in San Diego.

The PCL Padres: The Birth of an Interleague Rivalry [February 11th, 2011]
This was my favorite piece of the year, also posted at RJ's Fro. The definitive guide to understanding the epic rivalry between the San Diego Padres and the Seattle Mariners.

Why The Mat Latos Hullabaloo Is A Good Thing [February 16th, 2011]
The Mat Latos #balls saga. I loved the passion Latos showed in his time as a Padre. We'd do well to have more players who care.

The PCL Padres: What's in a Name? [February 18th. 2011]
Another post in the PCL series over at RJ's Fro. The Padres were almost the . . .

The Gwynn Opener: A Requirement For Fans [April 7th, 2011]
I made it a point to not only get to the home opener but, directed by the sage words of Tony Gwynn, to make it to game number two as well. It was painful. And worth it.

F&^% you Vill Wenable [July 8th, 2011]
This is probably the post AJM is most associated with. I drank a few beers. Hit "caps lock". And absolutely melted down after Will Venable struck out with the bases loaded in Chavez Ravine.

Orlando Hudson and I Know How To Laugh At Work [July 27th, 2011]
It's not fun to dislike players who play for the home nine. Unfortunately Orlando Hudson made it easy. Good to see he's on the roster in '12.

Padres, Green Tea, and Misunderstandings [October 5th, 2011]
Battling a lengthy virus, a Padre fan is led to Starbucks in search of green tea.

Games For The Weary: Padre-Punch [December 9th, 2011]
 If you stare into a crowd at Disneyland long enough, strange ideas are without bounds.

Avenger-In-Chief on Joe Randa [December 23rd 2011]
Researching a Joe Randa baseball card for Friars on Cardboard . . . exponentially more fun than watching grown men fawn over Brian Wilson and his idiotic beard during Padres/Giants series at PETCO Park. And that's saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment