Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baseball Game Attire: 1930s style

Over at Ducksnorts, Geoff Young discussed the highlights of the SABR* meeting he presented at over the weekend. In the post Geoff provided some links to other articles including the one about the Pacific Coast League Padres I wrote over at RJ's Fro.

Beside the link GY commented on the accompanying picture (found by SDPads1) and the game attire for the 1930s baseball fan. The 1930s fan was stylish. There were no replica jerseys. There were no New Era hats with the Lids sticker still on 'em. Attending a ball game was an event and people dressed for it.

So what's my point? I've often thought about dressing up for a game. Not like Barney Stinson where I look like I just walked out of some downtown financial monolith but instead like an actual fan from the 30s or 40s... it would be like retro-suiting-up, if you will.

I wear flip-flops and generally dress like a slob at a game so pulling this off would be difficult... unless, of course... you did it too... moral support, ya know.

Maybe I'm just writing out loud.

*SABR is an acronym for The Society for American Baseball Research.

No comments:

Post a Comment