Monday, February 7, 2011

Trying to remember the 2010 Padres: Game 7 (oh, God no... not interleague play?)

You have entered a site engaged in a highly complex experiment... an experiment designed to test the parameters of my mind... to determine how quickly I can dump the memory of interleague games from my brain's hard-drive. Seriously... there's little worth remembering about this Seligian concoction.

For series explanation and previous installments [go here]

GAME 7 of 18
June 19th, 2011
Padres v. Orioles @Petco Park
(Saturday/Right Field Lower Reserved 131)

WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

I know the Padres lost this interleague clash against the vaunted Orioles in what was a close and low scoring affair. Wait... the Orioles haven't really be vaunted since the early 70s. An epic 70s battle would have had way more cache. Actually, the Padres REALLY sucked in the 70s, what am I talking about?!

***
This was a Friarhood meet-up and I rolled solo. It might have been a bobblehead give-away. Maybe Blanks? By this time Blanks was either figuring things out in Portland or shelved for the season. Of course... maybe there wasn't a bobblehead promotion.

***
The Orioles don't do too much to excite me. They have local products Adam Jones and Brian Matusz from USD as well as the highly regarded Matt Wieters but outside of that there isn't too much to get excited about. Since I remember nothing I can only assume that these guys didn't do too much.

***
Like I said; I'm pretty sure this was an uneventful and mostly forgettable match-up in which the pitchers and hitters did very little to shape the minds of the fans on the fence over the whole sport of baseball.

Source: Fond recollections of Inter-league clashes... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

The Orioles defeat the Padres 5-4 to even the series at 1 game a piece. I was BOTH very right and very wrong. Ahhh, where to begin...

***
The Padres DID lose but the game should have left a more indelible mark on my baseball consciousness. Once again Clayton Richard got the start in a game I attended in 2010 but he was a loser on this Saturday night. Richard fell to 4-4 after pitching 6 innings and giving up 5 runs (4 earned) on 8 hits. His K/BB ratio was 5/1... which is nice.

***
Kevin Millwood was the winning pitcher for the Orioles improving his record to a deceiving 1-8 after giving up 3 runs in 6 innings. Just kidding. There's nothing deceiving about Millwood's record.

***
The Orioles' Adam Jones hit a 2-run HR (2 for 4) and Luke Scott went 3 for 4 (1 RBI). Luke Scott recently made some sort of asinine political statement but I don't recall what it was.... could you look it up? Thanks.


***
Jerry Hairston went 1 for 3 (BB/2 RBI/ 1 R).
***
Chase Headley... a cool 0 for 5 with 2 Ks. With the tying run on third in the 9th, Headley K'd in a 5 pitch AB to end the game.

***
Attendance: 28,138

NOTABLE OMISSIONS...

Tony Gwynn Jr. went 2 for 4.... which is a fragment sentence you don't hear every day. He also threw out Corey Patterson at the plate. Because he's a real good CF.

***
Clayton Richard's relief help came in the form of Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica. Both struck out 2. Both live in Florida now.

***
Remember those crazy stats about the Padres' record win they steal a base and how the record was astronomically good? Yea... the Padres didn't steal any bases during this game.

***
Speaking of a Kyle Blanks bobblehead: Cory Brock reported that same afternoon that Blanks was returning to San Diego for an MRI on his elbow.

Source: Baseball Reference and Padres.com

LASTING IMPRESSIONS...

All-in-all this wasn't that bad of a game. A bit of drama in the 9th is always good. I'm sorry for being mean to you Orioles.


***
I'm never a fan of 6 innings of a work by the starting pitcher and it is the 6 inning war that Clayton Richard often finds himself waging. CR's inability to make his way through 7 innings can usually be attributed to walking too many batters. The nice thing about tonight though was CR only walked 1 after 5 Ks. So maybe this wasn't that bad of a start... even though it was terrible.

***
Jerry Hairston. Jerry Hairston carries himself with an AMAZING level of confidence considering how unremarkably average he is as a player. It is a confidence to behold in a player but also a confidence that can be very deceiving if you try to evaluate him without numbers right in front of you. Having said that, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Padres fell a part once Jerry's legs failed him. He was a heckuva important average Joe... er, Jerry.

***
I really like the Saturday 5:30 start time. It just works. For me anyway.

***
Interleague games suck.

***
Chase Headley as the last Padres hitter of the night seems to be revealing itself as a trend for my attendance in 2010.

The Padres have slipped to 3-2 (1-1 Storm) with me hangin' around. I've got 11 games to right the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment