Saturday, February 19, 2011

Trying to remember the Padres: Game 9 (another pitching duel or a hitter hangover?)

This is a good week for pushing the mind. Today's game 9 occurred precisely 1 day after game 8, the pitchers duel between Mat Latos and Roy Oswalt.

I had said on Monday that this game 9 recap would be finished on Wednesday. Today is Saturday. Where is a flux capacitor when you need one?

For series explanation and previous installments [go here]

GAME 9 of 18
July 3rd, 2010
Padres v. Astros @Petco Park
(Saturday/ Field Pavilion Sec 122)

WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

I absolutely know that this game occurred one day after a really nice pitchers' duel between Mat Latos and Roy Oswalt. Therein lies the problem...

***
I can't recall if this game was a pitchers duel or if it was two average pitchers catching hitters napping from the night before. Maybe it was neither. This game may be similar in that the runs were scored in the bottom of the 8th inning again and then Heath Bell came in for the save. Hmmm....

***
I recall this game being a Friarhood event. In front of me sat a family from Boston visiting relatives in San Diego. I may have spent an unusually long period of time trying to convert the youngsters to Padredom. This may have lead to me missing a good amount of action. The amount of game time I missed may have included me a bit surprised in the 5th or 6th inning when I suddenly realized a higher profile Padre was not in the line-up. Did Adrian get the day off?

***
While my seat wasn't bad it was not nearly as good as the seats my in-laws were sitting in. They went to the game with a higher-up from Bank of America and sat behind home plate. Go get a tour of Petco, it's amazing what you get when you have those seats.

Source: Seat envy... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

Padres win 1-0. Kevin Correia pitched 7 strong innings as did Houston starter Bud Norris bu neither factored into the decision. The winning pitcher was Mike Adams (2-1) and Gustavo Chacin got the loss (1-1)

***
Heath Bell earned his 23 save after pitching a scoreless 9th inning (2Ks/1 hit).

***
The lone run was scored in the 8th inning after Aaron Cunningham (recalled from Portland that day) doubled to LF and Tony Gwynn Jr. attempted to sacrifice him to 3B. TGj's bunt attempt would be successful as he earned an infield single on the play resulting from a rushed throw by Gustavo Chacin. The throwing error allowed TGj to advance to 2B but most importantly it scored Cunningham for the only run of the game.

I probably could have said all of that with 37 less words. Oh well.

***

Adrian Gonzalez did not play in this game. Like I recalled earlier in this post I'm pretty sure that I figured it out in the 5th inning. As a fan... I'm embarrassed.

***
The Padres hit .185 for the game and the Astros went for an even Mendoza Line (.200).

Attendance: 40,042. Now that's a solid effort, San Diego


NOTABLE OMISSIONS...

Another quick game: 2 hours and 32 minutes

***
The Padres had five hits in the game by Gwynn, Eckstein, JHairston, Salazar, Cunningham. We are not likely to see any of these guys on the opening day roster although Oscar Salazar or Aaron Cunningham could surprise.

***
Lance Berkman went 0-3 with two Ks which is befitting a man of his ugly swing.

***
After this game the Padres record improved to 48-33, tied with the Braves for best record in the NL

***
Major league leading 12th shutout for the Padres.

***
12th win coming in their last AB for the Padres... I think this was leading the majors at the time as well.

***
The Padres were on pace for 96 wins after this game. Oh you miserable pace statistics!

***
Who did I go to this game with? I'm pretty sure it was my buddy Mark. What say you Mark?

Source: Baseball-Reference and Padres.com


LASTING IMPRESSIONS...

I love seeing games won in final ABs whether it comes from scoring in the bottom of the 8th or via the walk-off. I was fortunate to see back to back shutouts with scoring in the 8th followed up with Heath Bell saves.

***
Was it really a pitchers' duel? I think the bats were more hungover from the previous night than anything else.

***
I suppose I did a decent job of remembering some details in this game but I'm going to chalk it up to a social gathering.

***
Let's review this series next week. Perhaps we'll see how integral I am as a fan to the Padres' success... then I can parlay that utility into some Padre perks.

2 comments:

  1. You left out one important detail: You got a little - how do I put this - happy, and started yelling at people wearing jerseys/t-shirts from other teams as Petco emptied and they walked past us.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes. I now recall being a bit--shall we say-- boisterous towards Ryne Sandberg jersey wearing guy. Red Sox guy was probably involved too.

    ReplyDelete