Monday, February 14, 2011

Trying to remember the 2010 Padres: Game 8 (the pitching heavyweights)

I had a schedule for the "Trying to remember..." series that dictated the completion of two game synopsis per week prior to the start of the 2011 season. Last week I only wrote one. I was busy but even more than that... game 8 needed to be discussed during the same week as game 9.

Why? Same opponent in back to back days... let's FLY!!!

For series explanation and previous installments [go here]

GAME 8 of 18
July 2nd, 2010
Padres v. Astros @Petco Park
(Friday/Field Box Infield 108)

WHAT I THINK I KNOW...

The Padres defeated the Astros in what was a great pitching match-up between Mat Latos and Roy Oswalt. Final score 3-2 or 4-3.

***
I believe Latos got the win after being lifted in the bottom of the 8th for a pinch hitter when the Padres were down by one. They scored 2 runs and took the lead after Tony Gwynn Jr. (?) and David Eckstein (?) helped scrape together a couple runs. Or something like that..;

***
Heath Bell entered to get the save in the 9th.

***
Both Latos and Oswalt were superb in their efforts.

I am near certain that it was Latos that faced Oswalt. Pretty sure that I already had tickets for the Saturday night game (Friarhood event) which leads me to believe that I told the Mrs. that I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO GO AND see this epic pitching duel. The higher priced ticket I purchased also leads me to believe that I wanted the close up view of potential greatness.

***
My buddy Al and I attended this game together.

Source: A desire for an epic pitchers' duel... and a ticket stub.

RESEARCH SAYS...

The Padres won 3-0. Latos got the win and improved to 9-4. Latos pitched 8 shutout innings (7K/7BB) giving up 4 hits. In a word he was... ridiculouslyawesomeandoverwhelminglydominant.

***
Roy Oswalt was fantastic as well in receiving a no decision that night. Oswalt went 7 shutout innings (7K/2BB) giving up 3 hits. He left the game after 7 innings and a 0-0 tie.

***
So I was wrong about the score which is cool. It's nice to remember a game as a pitchers' duel only to look back and find out it was an even more outstanding performance from each pitcher. Latos would show why he was one of the up and coming young pitchers in the league and Oswalt would show why contenders would be clamoring for his services within a few short weeks.

***
Tony Gwynn Jr. would start the two out rally in the 8th inning with a single to LF. David Eckstein would drive him home with an RBI double for a 1-0 lead and all the runs the Padres would need. For good measure Scott Hairston drove in 2 more runs to hand a comfortable 3-0 lead to Heath Bell who would enter in the 9th.

***
Heath Bell recorded his 22nd save on 13 pitches after striking out 2 Astros.

Attendance: 30,691. Friday night and fourth of July weekend with Latos and Oswalt pitching... still lacking in believers.


NOTABLE OMISSIONS...

This game was recorded in a blistering 2 hours and 17 minutes. Nice.

***
The first three batters in the Padres line-up (Gwynn, Eckstein, Gonzalez) scored the game's only three runs. None of these gentlemen are Padres anymore. Does this mean anything?

***
The two Padres pitchers (Latos and Bell) who combined to record a 4 hit shutout with 9 Ks and 0BBs will both be pitching for San Diego in 2011. Does this mean anything?

***
The Padres won without stealing a base but it wasn't for a lack of trying... Yorvit Torrealba was gunned down in the 7th after getting on via walk. Yorvit?

Source: Baseball Reference and Padres.com


LASTING IMPRESSIONS...

I love a good pitching contest and I'm glad I got out to see Mat Latos and Roy Oswalt get after it. I think it was 2005 or 2006 when Jake Peavy and Roger Clemens were scheduled to pitch and I didn't make it down to the park to watch it... as you can see, I still think about it. If you're a baseball fan you have to get to games where the pitching heavyweights square off because you never know what you might see.

***
David Eckstein is pretty amazing. He has no business coming up so big with such frequency yet he does. I wish he would just sit on the bench and pinch hit for the Padres this year... but for free.

***
Might have been my first time seeing Mat Latos pitch in person. He's pretty good.


***
Watching a left handed stroke is generally a sweet thing to witness (Ted Williams, Will Clark, Don Mattingly, Tony Gwynn, Josh Hamilton, to name but a few).

Lance Berkman however is the ugliest lefty I have ever seen. His righty stroke is horrible too. I cannot stand watching Lance Berkman play the game of baseball. Lance Berkman is the worst.

***
I'll be back on Wednesday from Ground Control for some more Astros.

No comments:

Post a Comment