Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Edinson Volquez: Haircuts and Success

On Dan Hayes' blog this morning he wrote a teaser to an upcoming article about newly acquired RHP, Edinson Volquez.

A quote from Volquez confirmed what I have long thought to be a key to his future success:
"Right now, the way my hair feels, I think I'm going to have a good season this year," Volquez said. "I'm ready."
I couldn't agree more with Volquez. Look at the before and after shots of his hair.

Is Volquez' move from baseball's equivalent of an 1860s outhouse (Great American Ballpark) to the cavernous environs of PETCO Park going to help his psyche and consequently his performance? Sure.

Does it help that he's now another season removed from Tommy John surgery? Of course.

That his drug suspension is even further in his past? Undoubtedly.

Will the tutelage of Darren Balsley and Bud Black serve him more suitably than Dusty Baker, destroyer of young arms? YES!

A theme has developed surrounding Edinson Volquez and there is little question of whether he is set up for success in his new home at 19 Tony Gwynn Dr.

But allow me to break it down unscientifically for you: it's the hair.

Hair like that is bad karma for ball players*. If you can't fit your hat on straight all of the goodness within your body, your aura so to speak, shifts and your game goes in the crapper -- unless you're a lefty, which Volquez clearly is not.
 *Don't tell me about Manny Ramirez. Guy's as off as they come.

So it all comes back to the hair and I'm ecstatic that Volquez realizes it too. Good luck in 2012, Mr. Volquez.

[Editor's Update]
I totally misread that quote. Hayes wrote:
"Right now, the way I feel, I think I'm going to have a good season this year," Volquez said. "I'm ready."
It's neither here nor there. I stand by my unscientific assessment of Edinson Volquez' hair. I still expect great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment