Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gwynn Thoughts: The 1989 Batting Race

After hearing that Tony Gwynn was going for another round of cancer surgery in his cheek my mind started spinning, registering my fondest moments of Tony Gwynn over the years. Fortunately, after 14 hours, the surgery sounds like it was a success. 

As I pondered Gwynn's mortality this was one of my thoughts . . .

In 1989 I was still a new edition to Padre fandom. I didn't hate LA or the San Francisco quite yet and it was evidenced by my excitement to see Will Clark and the Giants visit San Diego on the last weekend of the season. The Padres had just been mathematically eliminated but the batting title was not yet decided. The race featured Will Clark and a guy who was fast becoming one of my favorite players: Tony Gwynn.

I attended the Saturday game on September 30th. It was Flan Appreciation Night. While even a novice like myself appreciated the way Tim Flannery played San Diego was there to see Gwynn and Clark. Gwynn entered the Saturday evening contest in front of 47, 787 fans hitting .331 after going 1 for 5 on Friday evening. Will Clark went 2 for 4 in that Giants win on September 29th and stood at .334 entering Saturday's contest.

In a game that featured Mark "Mudcat" Grant* on the hill for the Padres and the hefty Rick Reuschel throwing for the Giants both Gwynn and Clark went to work.

*Mud entered the game in the 5th inning. He worked a long five innings of relief to get the win and move his record to 8-2. As Mud would say, "That's Some Kinda Nice."



When the dust settled the Padres had won 11-5, chasing 17 game winner Rick Reuschel after 4 innings. Will Clark's 1 for 4 left him remaining static (.334) but Tony Gwynn had made his move. Gwynn's 3 for 4 night had raised his average to .333.

I had attended this game with my best friend, Rob. As the game turned into a laugher and the crowd began to dissipate we stealthily maneuvered to field level seats behind home plate. We both witnessed the last ABs of Gwynn and Clark as close as anyone possibly could that night.

The next afternoon (October 1st, 1989) would see Gwynn bang out another 3 hits in a 3-0 Padres win. Gwynn's effort was too much for Will Clark who could only manage another 1 for 4 dropping his average to .333. After a 3 for 4 game on consecutive days Tony Gwynn's average stood complete at .336 good enough for his 4th batting title.

I left Flan Appreciation night with a pin and an indelible memory of Tony Gwynn's determination and craftsmanship at the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment