Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Gwynn Numbers: 184 in 1984

In 1984 Tony Gwynn hit .351/.410/.444 as the Padres advanced to the World Series.

His first batting title and a Padres run of success (also a first) led to a third place finish in the MVP race. Gwynn finished behind Ryne Sandberg, and Keith Hernandez that year, receiving 1 vote for 1st in and finishing with a total of 184 voting points. But this post is more about a baseball card.


Topps released this card in 1985 which of course featured Gwynn's vaunted '84 stats. As a youngster living elsewhere I recall staring at those numbers, as I did with all of my cards. Seeing the little diamond placed next to the .351 BA and thinking how elusive it sounded.

I also remember thinking that I wanted to look like Tony Gwynn. I wanted those flip-shades! I wanted to be an outfielder even though it meant, as a little-leaguer, a death sentence of boredom and in-action out in pastures of green. I just wanted to wear those flip-shades.

Nobody wears those cool flips anymore, instead opting for Oakleys and the like. I'm going to buy a pair and wear them to the bar. Yes . . . I'll be that guy.

1 comment:

  1. I had a pair of those in LL. I won/ earned/ whateverth them from selling a bunch of fundraising crap.

    ReplyDelete