Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Peter O'Malley, on the record

With MLB owners set to meet this week, Padres fans will be able to definitively claim that their team has owners and they are led by the family O'Malley.

With this scenario a virtual lock I thought I would share with you some thoughts from Peter O'Malley, a primer of sorts as Padres fans transition into an era of unabashed hope:
"I believe salaries are at their peak. It's quite possible some owners will trade away, or even drop entirely, players who expect $200,000 salaries. There is no way clubs can continue to increase salaries to the level some players are talking about."
Huh, wut?

Just kidding. Well I'm not kidding about the quote -- Peter O'Malley did share those words on the record. But he did so in 1971 as President of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

How do I know this? It's written on page 242 of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Takes a swing at Baseball. True Story. I bought this book for my brother a few years back, a Christmas present perhaps. You place it next to your toilet and you read it while your system regains regularity.

You see, I'm house sitting and taking care of his crazy little dog. In an effort to regulate myself during the AM hours, I took a seat and began to read. The first page I opened to was about Dock Ellis' LSD induced no hitter thrown against the Padres back in 1970. The next page I flipped to was a quote from Peter O'Malley. I'm hesitant to do it, but poor form be damned, here it goes: That Peter O'Malley sure didn't know crap about the future.

Let's hope that the O'Malley group spends in 2012 and beyond and that they do it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment