Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fireworks weren't the only things to come early

Between grilling steaks, talking about friends my dad lost in Vietnam, and a bizarre fireworks show in Imperial Beach, I found my self able to watch the Padres play on television. This has only happened a handful of times in 2012*.

 *The part about watching the Padres. 

I crouched on a rooftop as the fireworks came early, about the same time Yasmani Grandal poked a pinch hit 2-run HR to give the Padres the lead and propel them to their first ever sweep in Arizona.

I didn't know about Grandal's HR until today. As we raced to escape the throng of vexed fireworks spectators I caught the bottom of the 9th on the radio. I was unaware of Grandal's heroics. I bet it was exciting last night. I'm excited now. I feel like the IB fireworks.

There was something else that caused elation in me last night, though. Back in the 7th inning my enthusiasm acted as a premonition for what was to unfold at the foot of Imperial Beach's rustic pier. My personal fireworks went something like this: Chris Denorfia singles to RF: Chris Denorfia steals second base.


Alexi Amarista drills one right up the box.



Chris Denorfia comes around to score, breaking a 3-3 tie.

That was exciting. It was very 2010. It was how the Padres should attempt to win games.

The steak was excellent. The chicken a little overcooked on account of my salmonella paranoia. The fireworks show . . . memorable. Chris Denorfia and Alexi Amarista . . . happy 4th of July you blue collar, lunch pail, motherf*ckers!

No comments:

Post a Comment