Thursday, July 12, 2012

Like Curt Flood before me, I respectfully request (consumer) free-agency

To Whom It May Concern:

I do not know the exact parameters of the agreements between the cable television companies (Cox, Time Warner, etc.) and the government of San Diego. I only know that this market is one that is controlled, Time Warner dominating the county north of the San Diego River while Cox covers the area south of this natural marker.

I do know that I have money to spend but I am being prevented from spending it

I wish to spend money on the product known as the San Diego Padres so that I can watch their baseball games just as my friends do in southern San Diego. But I cannot do this because Time Warner Cable and the newly created Fox Sports San Diego television station cannot find a distribution price to agree upon. I am not afforded the opportunity to switch to a competitor (Direct TV) as my current home resides behind an obstruction to their satellites. Again -- I have money and I want to purchase this product (San Diego Padres games).

If city government grants these companies operating rights in specific zones within San Diego then city government should have the right to call on them to arbitrate for a fair price. If these companies cannot agree upon a price then grant me free agency as a consumer. If they don't want my money let me give it to someone who will take it.

I would like to give my money to Major League Baseball to purchase MLB.TV and I request the opportunity to watch the out of market broadcasts for each team that the San Diego Padres play during the 2012 season. If companies within San Diego cannot figure out a way to accept the money, that I am readily willing to give, then the blackout for Padres games on MLB.TV should be lifted so I can purchase from this competitor.

Respectfully

A Consumer in the city of San Diego

Curt Flood is the reason baseball players are rich and freely move around MLB from team to team. He wrote a letter . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment