Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Schilling and Sanguine Stocking to Senate?

Back in October of 2004 Curt Schilling and his bloody sock ruled the world. I took pleasure in seeing the Red Sox end The Curse because it was at the expense of the vaunted New York Yankees and their exorbitant payroll, capable of sustaining the lesser developed countries of the world.

Soon after the anticlimactic World Series victory, Curt Schilling would do the media rounds as all heroes do when at their peak. Schilling's rounds coincided with the 2004 Presidential Election; the election which was supposed to be a referendum on the failed policies of President George W. Bush.

While doing the talk circuit, Schilling, never one to withhold an opinion, quickly and quite emphatically dismissed the notion of an endorsement for Massachusetts' Senator John Kerry, for President. What stuck with me was how dismissive Schilling was of the suggestion; as if voting for someone other than the incumbent was tantamount to sedition. Really, I thought? Sure John Kerry's a bit of a stiff but.....have you seen the way Bush has governed? Heading into the election of '04, Bush's 1st term couldn't be described as anything less than disastrous. Curt Schilling lost me the day he thought more Bush was a good thing.....more George Bush.

Fast forward to 2009. Liberal Massachusetts icon, Senator Edward M. Kennedy, has passed away, his seat left vacant in The Upper House. Enter Curt Schilling and his bloody sock to fill the departed shoes of Ted Kennedy:

"I'm not going to divulge the discussions, but I've been contacted by people whose opinion I give credence to and listen to, and I listened," Schilling said.

Asked whether he would run, Schilling said, "As of today, probably not."

"I don't know, going forward," Schilling said. "That's a pretty big deal, from a commitment standpoint, not just for me but for my family."

After the interview, Schilling added to his comments with a statement he posted on his blog.

"I do have some interest in the possibility,"
Now, maybe someone who believes in George W. Bush and agrees with most of what Ann Coulter says would be good for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Then again, maybe not. Some of the comments I've read from the good people of Mass., seem to suggest that ol' Curt should stick to talkin' baseball. I tend to agree.

Politically I dislike traditional party labels as well as the restrictive nature of being a plotted point on the political spectrum. However, if pressed to categorize myself I would fall under the genus, A angustus Constitution substructio Habeanae*, which essentially means I have some Conservatism in my blood. Having admitted to that designation: Anyone who believes in George W. Bush or Ann Coulter is seriously f#cked in the head.**

I pray for Massachusetts....

*I used a Latin translator to yield the above phrasing. Loosely: A limited, Constitutionally based Government. I do not trust the Government to make sound decisions hence the 'limited' and the 'Constitutionally based'. The Constitution was meant to shackle our leaders thus protecting the people.

** Sorry for the political commentary. Curt Schilling started it.

2 comments:

  1. I have to make an exception in this case, on account of Curt Schilling being a self-righteous aaaaahole.

    ReplyDelete