Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Survivor Pool Week 6

So I took the Packers this week in my Survivor Pool...or should I say that for the second consecutive week I opted for a team that was squaring off against the Detroit Lions. I knew, neither the Packers or Lions would fail me. Final score, Packers 26 - Lions 0....Survivor Pool lasts another week.

This week presented a certain challenge; I knew that the Packers would win and I knew that the Steelers would win.....clear locks. But I also knew that the Steelers would probably be more attractive down the line during a cold weather game at Heinz Field in late December. I also knew that the Packers would never be more attractive than week 6, playing at Lambeau, coming off a bye, and facing a woeful Lions team full of injuries. As you've read here......I knew quite a lot last week (although zero evidence of that exists with my pick 'em pools).

The masses didn't speak clearly in last week's poll however, with the majority splitting their opinions between the Steelers (6 votes) and the Jaguars (6 votes). I asked for a bold call and many people gave it to me......take the Jaguars at home against the woeful St. Louis Rams. I was pretty much set on that direction too until I listened to the 619Sports.net Newsletter sent out to subscribers. Craig and Chris made such a compelling case to take Jacksonville, and with Survivor Pools being predicated on having viable options with good teams later in the year, I figured that everyone would be on the same page----all would back the Jags despite annihilation at the hands of the Seahawks the previous week because the St. Louis Rams are THAT bad.

This got me thinking......if everyone makes a play at the Jaguars and the Jags lost it would decimate the Survivor Pool......so I opted out, and took the Packers in hopes that a crappy Rams side might edge out an equally crappy Jacksonville side. Atari Bigby of the Packers did his part for me...

Seriously.....is there a name more cool than Atari Bigby? I'm not even biased! I had ColecoVision as a kid.

...and I almost looked like a savant when the Rams looked as though they would bounce the Jags. 'Twas not to be in a week 6 overtime contest. So how many people chose the Jags? It was only one player anyway so I essentially built up this scenario, wasted many minutes typing as well as your time reading, and delivered zero drama-----you knew I won with the Pack and that the Jags won in OT. Sorry, good reader. One sap did take the Eagles though so I send a heart felt thank you to the Hapless Raiders.

Five players remain and these are my teams off the board:
  • Patriots
  • Vikings
  • Ravens
  • Bears
  • Eagles
  • Packers
What to do with the Detroit Lions on the bye? Here are my best options; what say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment