Monday, October 5, 2009

Upholding An Ideal: The Chivalrous Defense Of Brett Fav-ruh


I'm not a Photoshop guy....imagine it says Vikings

Fortuitous timing and all, with the Vikes and Brett Favre squaring off against his former lover, the Green Bay Packers. Below you will find a text message transcript between myself and The Fav-ruh-pologist from last Sunday. I was in the car and heard on the radio that the Vikings rally had just stalled out and they looked like they were going to drop one at home to the 49ers....so I started talking trash. Obviously I texted too soon because Favre had one of his most grand prayers ever, answered in dramatic fashion. The below exchanges may seem extraordinarily mundane but I found them funny on two counts:
  1. The dedication that one fan could have towards a player over a team (keeping in mind that The Fav-ruh-pologist has followed Favre from one team to the next).
  2. The shear volume and length of texts in response to such innocuous statements.....I hope his texting plan is cheap.
Without further adieu:
What Happened to your boy?
(an innocent query)
Shut Up and go talk shit to someone else :)
People like you are the reason I continue to defend him. You are a hater. I've asked you to join me, and you sat back waiting for a moment to criticize and you forgot that there was still time left on the clock. Shame on you for lying in wait to attack a holy man. You should go to church and repent. GO VIKINGS AND GOD BLESS BRETT FAVRE!!!!!
(Favre=Messiah? Favre-ssiah!)
I haven't seen a response...kinda quiet huh? Oh I get it. It's game time for the Chargers. Time for next installment. I hope it turns out ok today. Good Luck! By the way it's Favre 2, AP 1. Hmmm.
(relax I can't type a message that fast...and I'm driving)
Another thing...I think I owe you a thank you for speaking too early. I thought it was over. It's the superstitiousness in me. So thanks.
(that's a valuable scrabble word)
That was vintage Favre...wing and a prayer
(Time to ramp it up! I have now given the angry bear a real good poke)
Whatever hater. Last second passes have to be right there. Did you watch the SuperBowl??? I suppose everything is on a wing and a prayer if you don't have all the talent the Chargers do. Go hate somewhere else. It was vintage Favre, you are right though. All the work leading up to the final pass was probably just him getting lucky. He would never get any true credit for what he brings to that team. Just go back to watching your DUMB team with all the other SD haters and idiots. 3-0 feels good. Just so ya know.
(the Chargers are not DUMB....they are BAD)
Glad to see the true Viking fans being rewarded.....you one of those?
(additional pokes and prods)
Keep grasping hater. I am defending an ideal. Not a normal situation for me, I concede, but I have stood by my point of view from start to finish with full conviction. I did for a brief time appreciate your semi unbiased sports point of view. I now see I was way off. You are just like everyone else. You want to look for a reason to take swipes at him. It's called player hating and it annoys. I have always given the Chargers the credit they DESERVE. I even admire a few players a bit. Your point of view is getting as old as everyone else. Just keep putting out your high quality opinions about the Padre colors and important stuff like that. And just try to leave the subject of Brett Favre alone for real blog sites.
(Following Brett Favre to the end of the Earth is not the pursuit of an ideal.....it is sedition in the eyes of all Packer fans. Blog sites are inherently crap and none are really 'real'. Really.)
'Real blog sites' are much more critical of your boy. I've actually given you the opportunity to voice the Favre point of view.
(what I meant to say---Fuck Yea I'm biased and I didn't mean "the Favre" point of view. It should have read Brett Fav-ruh point of view)

Don't worry, I'm not going to sit here and make you defend what YOU believe in. And I have read all the other blogs too. Once you filter through the idiots, there are some educated points of view. Some good and some bad for sure. But you and the surplus of other haters out there make it seem like that. Just keep up your good work.
Just admit you tried to talk shit too early and it will all stop. I'm not trying to be a hater. I'm just a little defensive as you can see. You aren't the only one sending me texts.
(I hope the Vikings get it handed to 'em tonight.....just so I can continue to poke the bear)

I'm still in awe with the velocity at which each one of these texts flew into my message box last week. Let's see what happens tonight.

Go PACK

No comments:

Post a Comment