Monday, August 10, 2009

For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother... San Diego Padres versus Atlanta Braves, August 12th, 1984


Tim Flannery
I enjoy brawls, really good ones, where lines are drawn in the sand. In 1984 the Padres had one bench clearing affair after another against the Atlanta Braves. I've seen footage of it before but not quite the breadth that Gaslamp Ball posted this morning via YouTube. It's 29 minutes of Vengeance precipitated by Pasqual Perez's beaning of Allan Wiggins to begin the game.

Here are some stills to whet your appetite.
This is Brawl part IV to lead off the 9th inning

Nettles got after pitcher Donnie Moore

My ex-neighbor Ed Whitson who was ejected back in the 4th came out
to get some in the 9th. At that point the fans were getting involved.

Kurt Bevacqua went into the stands...ages before Ron Artest

Read the NC times accounting of the affair [NC Times]
Get yourself to Gaslamp Ball to witness the carnage [Gaslamp Ball]

So feel free to pass judgement as these 25 year old video clips made me warm and fuzzy inside.......sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment