Monday, August 24, 2009

Venable Makes Contact With Pujols' Man Purse carrying Arm



When I was watching the Padres play the Cardinals on Saturday night I took note of a particular play involving Albert Pujols and the Padres' Will Venable. Venable had hit a hard grounder to 1B and Pujols fielded it cleanly, decided to make the play on his own, and ran towards first.....but he did not run that fast. As he crossed over the bag a blazing Venable burst threw the picture nearly beating Pujols for an infield single. Two things struck me about this play:
  1. How hard Venable had run out what seemed to be a routine grounder which in my opinion is a good thing. With all due respect to the best player on our team (Adrian Gonzalez), he rarely runs hard on ground-balls. Effort is good.
  2. The second thing was how I really felt that had Pujols been just a split second slower in getting to the bag he genuinely would have deserved to get knocked into next week. You can't lolly-gag through the baseline when your opponent is playing for a job next year. Whatever.....there was no harm so there was no foul....I went to bed.
Now on Sunday afternoon I abandoned the game after Caesar Carillo loaded the bases a second time but upon checking in on the final I saw that there was a bit of an altercation that had taken place. Low and behold.........Pujols and Venable. Will Venable running out a grounder, ducking his shoulder a bit to absorb the tag and then getting the stare-down from King Albert. I watched the video and it's one of the most innocuous bits of contact I've seen between players. I saw Everth Cabrera destroy Cardinal SS Brendan Ryan in trying to break up a double play, and in my opinion, Cabrera had slid too far out of the baseline. Ryan said nothing about it.

Here is an excerpt from padres.com regarding the Pujols/Venable incident:

About the only fireworks came in the sixth inning when Venable topped a ball down the first-base line that St. Louis first baseman Albert Pujols picked up and tagged Venable as he ran by. After the play, Venable turned around and saw Pujols staring at him.

"I asked him what his problem was. Anytime that someone stops to stare at you ... you're wondering what his problem is," Venable said. "I certainly don't care enough about Albert Pujols to continue with anything that might cause friction. It's not that big of a deal, just a lot of nothing."

Pujols, apparently, saw it differently, claiming Venable more or less threw an elbow into him as he passed.

"He did. Last night he tried to run me over like he was playing freaking football. A play like that, you don't try to run people over. Next time, if I would have known, I would probably hit him in the face with the glove, tag him right there," said Pujols, who earlier in the game hit his 40th home run of the season.

"He did it last night, and today again, he threw an elbow. And he was out by a lot. It wasn't necessary, even to avoid a tag. The ground ball that I had, what is he going to do? Try to knock the ball out of my glove? Last night he jammed my wrist a little bit and tonight he tried to throw an elbow. That's pretty stupid."

Venable denied trying to throw an elbow to disrupt the play.

Are you seriously crying about this Albert?

I generally like Albert Pujols. The only thing I've really heard bad about him (I think it was him) is that he tends to eyeball umpires a bit when he gets a strike call against him; kind of a "Do you know who I am? If I didn't swing it's not a strike!", air about him. His above quotes make him sound like a crybaby. Grow a pair and go after Venable if you think he was trying to hurt you. Don't give a man the ol' "Do you know who I am?", stare. You're asking for a fight then.

Good on ya Will Venable. Keep playing hard. Don't take sh*t from anyone especially Albert Pujols


"Fu*k Albert Pujols and his man purse!", said Will Venable (or something to that effect)


Video of Sunday afternoon incident [Padres.com]

4 comments:

  1. I hate watching major leaguers not run out groundballs...you never know what is going to happen....you're afraid to pull a hammy? Running? You are a professional athlete. Throw an elbow into Pujols for jogging to the tag everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Venable gave him the business. Albert needs to be taken down a notch; hopefully it's when the Cardinals visit here in 2010.

    Circle your calendar...well you can't yet...so just make a mental note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venable is an idiot...if you actually played baseball you would understand you don't run through a guy 50 ft from the bag on a tag play. Its common sense. These guys play 162 games in a season and the last thing you want is some douche bag running you down on a meaningless play because he is pissed he can't hit it out of the infield. Tell Venable to get a real hit instead of trying act bush league about his topper to first

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale--You're wrong. Watch the video. If Pujols hadn't said anything no one would ever watch that play and think that it was Bush League. It was completely innocuous. If you watch Venable he actually ducks and turns away from Pujols as he's tagging him.

    Guys are supposed to hustle and run out ground balls, fly balls, dropped third strikes and anything else; all a part of the job description. I played baseball.

    Your opinion may stand that Venable is an idiot but he is a Princeton grad....your first basemen on the other hand is a 240 lb sissy.

    ReplyDelete