Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Started-me-a-wonderin': The San Diego Padres and Yunel Escobar


After turning on the Padre game in the 8th inning, (EST start threw me) I saw Atlanta shortstop Yunel Escobar make a play and it started-me-a-wonderin'.

The Padres almost dealt Jake Peavy for Escobar and a few others back in November. I wasn't really in favor of the deal at the time for a couple of reasons:
  1. I was delusional; not fully grasping the financial plight a divorce could bring on our club.
  2. I didn't know too much about the players involved and really didn't want to do the research; laziness and a state of delusion conspiring together.
Today Yunel Escobar is hitting .303/.370/.452

The Wonderin':
  1. Would the haul from the Jake to Atlanta trade in November of 2008 have been more beneficial than Jake to the Sox in July of 2009?
  2. Would we have taken Everth Cabrera in the December, 2008 Rule V Draft had we traded for Escobar back in November (I think yes because ECab was a 2B)?
  3. If we did take ECab would he have seen any playing time---being blocked by Escobar at SS and the Great Eckstein at 2B---may he have been returned to Colorado because he wasn't crackin' the line-up?
  4. How would the Padres look with Escobar at SS and Cabrera at 2B?
Some of my wonderment is unknowable (2 & 3) but feel free to speculate and discuss, it may be fun.

The remainder of my reverie won't be revealed for a while (1 & 4) although if someone wants to look up the 2009 stat lines for the players and then draw some comparisons, I'd be stoked if you did.......by the way the Padres won in the 12th; Latos 7 shut out innings.

No comments:

Post a Comment