Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tainted Cycles: Thanks Be To Troy Tulowitzki


Last night Troy Tulowitzki came to bat late in the game needing a triple the most difficult of the required four hits for The Cycle.

TT was gifted The Cycle when Alfonso Soriano bobbled the ball and then the relay, which had TT dead to rites, was dropped.

An excerpt from "Troy Tulowitzki's Cycle A Mockery Of Baseball's Hallowed Record", by Johnny Lawrence of the Bleacher Report:
How fair is it that Tulowitzki receives credit for accomplishing something only 246 players have in over one hundred years of baseball, despite the glaring no-calls?
Plati hand-wrapped and delivered Tulowitzki this historically significant feat, and I'm not so sure it should not be taken away from him for the sake of integrity.
The mistake was made in the scorer's box, not on the field, so do not blame Tulowitzki for his top-flight performance.

A far too generous scoring of the play cheapened the magnitude of this historically uncommon event.
There are two significant points here for San Diego Padre fans:
  1. The Padres have yet to hit a cycle in their 40 year history. I'd love to see a cycle even if it were tainted by a homer score keeper! Actually I don't care, I'm more interested in the anomaly that our franchise has failed with 40seasons X 162 games....you do the math.
  2. We should be praising Tulo's excellence, without which, we may not have been able to get Everth Cabrera in last winter's Rule V draft.
Cheers Cycle-laden Colorado!!!! It's their 5th one in a mere 16 seasons.



While a type of false choice, I'll take Everth Cabrera over The Cycle any day of the week.

2 comments:

  1. I agree to a degree with what you are saying BUT I think you shouldn't fault Troy maybe we should be faulting the Cubs for not making an easy out. I mean I think it's a great effort on Troys part and he can't help what happens with the ball while it's in play. I will say it's probably a double but just like when an umpire makes a bad call we have to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't fault Troy.

    I agree with the writer of the article that it's on the official scorer for that one. You could overlook the Soriano bobble but the final throw would have had TT by a country mile---that call was a no-brainer.

    I applaud his effort. He's a good ball player.

    ReplyDelete