Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dick Analysis: A new segment tracking Padres announcer Dick Enberg

I've never looked at the announcers of baseball games as being that integral to my viewing experience.

I recall not being a huge fan of Matt Vasgersian at the beginning of his Padre tenure but that he gradually grew on me over time. When Mark Neeley took over for Matty the difference was noticeable in that there was not a lot of chemistry between he and new partner, Mark Grant. This was too be expected; new partners breakin' each other in and all. As the season progressed I began to like Neeley but at the conclusion of the season Chanel 4 saw fit to take advantage of an available hall-of-fame broadcaster in Dick Enberg who actually had a great desire to call baseball again. So here we are....



With a segment called, Dick Analysis.

Last night while viewing game 2, I noticed some things in the broadcast, that weren't so much concerns as much as general observations of a new broadcast team. I shared these observations on Twitter and a couple of fellow fans (@matthewverygood and @sportsmatters) made mention of some of the things that they had noticed and BOOM......Dick Analysis was born!
  • Mud has been wearing a suit just like his Hall of Fame partner, Mr. Dick Enberg. Will this very formal attire eventually stifle the goofiness of Mudcat Grant? I hope not because I like Mud's quirky pop culture diffusion throughout the broadcast. I know there are people who do not share this view. In any case, Mud seems to be acting a lot more "professionally".
  • Mud definitely knows he's second billing to Enberg. I wonder how their chemistry will progress through out the season?
  • When Dick is ready to say a player's name the pause before the name is pretty accentuated.....as though he is not as familiar with the players as he should be. Hey, he just started doin' baseball again, what can I expect!?! I'm just curious to see how long it takes him to gain that familiarity that the hometown announcer should have.
  • I'm typing this in the first inning of game 3 and D-Backs lead-off hitter Kelly Johnson just crushed an HR to dead CF. Dick called it as though there were sure to be a carom off the wall......there was not.....it did not sound good.
  • When will I stop feeling like I'm watching a football game?
My intent is not to bust Dick's balls, to turn a phrase. It is merely to track his progress and to see him make a successful transition from football back to baseball. I wish him the best of luck. So far I enjoy his enthusiasm and his smooooooth voice. Keep at it, Dick.

Feel free to share your observations on Dick's broadcast......if you don't this segment will DIE!!!

5 comments:

  1. I like Dick Enberg, and love his voice. I have crossed fingers he'll do well, and I'm sure he'll improve as the year goes on. But no one says "warning path" anymore (which he used last night), and he sounded completely lost calling Kelly Johnson's first HR tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was COMPLETELY lost calling that HR. Harry Carry usually was too but at least he was hopped up on Budweiser.

    I've never heard "Warning Path". When did that stop being used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think "warning path" was ever used. I looked it up online, and it's listed in the new Dickson baseball dictionary as a synomym for warning track.

    Maybe it was in use when he was calling games for the Angels back in the 70s, but I was alive at that time too and never heard the term anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On several occasions in the first three games, Enberbg sounded like a 75-year-old, making numerous innocuous mistakes, but mistakes nevertheless, all of which I became aware instantaneously upon their utterance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard enough watching the Padres without having to listen to Dick and Mud praising and making terrific comments about the phillies, they sound like their announcers for the visiting team not the padres.

    ReplyDelete