Saturday, April 24, 2010

In Case Of Emergency Use Stairs

There was no emergency last night (hey! We're on a winning streak!) but Matt Stairs still got the start.

When I saw the starting line-up in the afternoon I figured he must have had HUGE numbers against Reds starter Bronson Arroyo (only 2-4 actually) for Bud Black to sacrifice so much defense. Not that big of an advantage for Stairs but the band box ball park probably had a lot to do with the spot start; a good location to get Stairs some confidence with his swing.

Let's look at the reality of the situation more closely.  Matt Stairs was brought to San Diego for two reasons only: pinch hitting and to DH during inter-league games this summer.  He was not brought here to get that many starts at 1B or in the OF.  Defense is simply not one of his assets. So just how bad is Matt Stairs defense? I'm not quite sure but here's how Baseball Prospectus qualified it as I flipped through their 2010 annual last evening:
"With absolutely no defensive ability, his days as an effective bench weapon are over, but the threat of the long ball from his Ruthian swings is likely to merit a bench spot somewhere...."
ABSOLUTELY NO DEFENSIVE ABILITY!!! Such condemnation of Matt Stairs' shortcomings.....I laughed out loud when I read it. No matter. God Bless Kevin Correia. The Padres destroyed the Reds in game 1, 10-4, to remain in first place. Their winning streak stands at 7 and their record is 10-6. Matt Stairs' defense was not required on Friday night.

NOTES:
*BTW--Stairs went 1-4 with a 2 run 2B.
** I didn't see how Stairs did in LF. I only saw the game when the Padres were scoring. When I realized Correia was no-hitting the Reds going into the 6th I decided to give this game my full attention. I was then notified that the timeless musical Annie was going to be started.....due to previous promises and all. On an evening where the 1st no-hitter in franchise history might have been thrown??? Absolutely not! I was not going to let Annie become my "Heidi game" so I protested until I got my way. The females of the house relented......and then Correia promptly surrendered a 2B. 'Twas Annie on a Friday night ....
***"In Case Of Emergency Use Stairs" was a T-shirt printed in Philadelphia when he was a more productive pinch hitter. Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. In an emergency, watch this:

    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3618349

    We miss you Matt, Philly will forever be in your debt!

    ReplyDelete