Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dick Enberg Analysis: and on the Seventh Day we discussed.....well, Dick Enberg, of course

Ahhhh......an off day. Let's talk about Mr. Dick Enberg.

I know there are some people who are simply asking themselves, "God, why-oh-God, why?"

To that I say, "Why not?" 

Let's not skirt around the fact that Mark Grant has been in the booth for an epoch but has also had different company for three consecutive seasons. The consensus seems to be immeasurable love for Vasgersian, callous indifference towards Mark Neeley and ( fill-in-the-blank ) regarding Dick Enberg. Our purpose is to fill in the blank after one week......because that's all it really takes to make an assessment, right?

I'm down with Dick Enberg so far. He's got a great voice. He knows baseball despite not having done it in a while. He's brought an aura of professionalism to the booth and I think that this has made Mark Grant better. I'm not suggesting that Mud was unprofessional but I do think he has toned down on some of the things he had done under "previous administrations". I like that they're both wearing suits.....I don't know why......maybe it reminds me of How I Met Your Mother. Dick Enberg appears to have a passion for the game and that, in and of itself, should be good enough for me: almost, good enough......(click below to continue reading)

Points of Improvement/Criticisms:
  • Dick Enberg seems to know the opposition's names better than the Padres players. I know many of the fans I have discussed this with on Twitter have made the complaint of him butchering names (i.e Blanks/BANKS Everth Cabrera/EFRIM Cabrera). Here are my thoughts on that: it seems impossible to get the names right for the opposition but not the home nine.....so......I think this seasoned vet is actually quite nervous and as a result prone to gaffes. Listen to the next time he says a Braves player's name; it'll be smooth and without effort. Then listen to the next time he needs to call a Padre player's name; there is a protracted pause where you can tell he is thinking in an effort not to make a GAFFE. Loosen up Dick and trust your instincts. It is my belief that Dick Enberg will have this sorted out in about a month's time and due to this belief I have decided to give him free reign to destroy as many names as he sees fit until May 7th or 8th. At that time he will be held to a higher standard....a standard of excellence, demonstrated daily, by information outlets like this one right here.
  • Here's the biggest problem and it may not be correctable due to Dick Enberg's age. I mentioned last week that he really blew a HR call that was to my aged and questionable eye,  a real no-doubter. In yesterday's home opener Adrian Gonzalez hit a kangaroo-hop ground-rule 2B that Dick thought was a HR. It wasn't even close. From the press box to the cavernous left center of Petco Park there exists a vast distance......one which may require the use of eye glasses. I personally feel that the endeavor of blogging (gazing into a computer monitor) is currently decreasing my vision in increments of hours rather than years and I can only imagine where my vision will be when I'm 75. I hope these are just simple mistakes and not a result of age. One Hundred and Fifty-Five games will surely tell.
"Touch 'em All" and "Oh My!!!" are cool with me although I sometimes feel like I'm watching Grid Iron or Wimbledon with the latter call. Overall, I like what I've heard and in the end, as I've said before, as long as the broadcast isn't an absolute travesty/sham/mockery similar to the XX1090 Bleacher Bums program, I'll make it through any game any day.

Leave your comments in the bin. Cheers

5 comments:

  1. I've heard of a shamockery, but a trashamockery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Homer--I believe the correct pronunciation is "traveshamockery". It's a mouthful so opted for spelling out all three. I believe the literal translation of traveshamockery is XX1090's Bleacher Bums.

    I'm glad that duo, if nothing else, could contribute a new word to the English lexicon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see now. So a shamockery is Tommy Griffiths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha we got rid of the Bleacher Bums, they don't call in to 1090 anymore, I never see Earl post anything anymore but that damn Jordan just will not go away on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Homer--On Point as always. Scott and BR had him on the other morning. Didn't hear it. You?

    @SDPads_1--I do see Jordan popping up quite a bit on Darren Smith and Friarhood's FB page. If he's actually a Padre fan then that's cool. As long as he's not a part of my drive-time, the Chief abides. Earl is an entirely other story. He knows NOTHING about sports and as such his silence from Scott and BR has been golden.

    ReplyDelete