Friday, April 16, 2010

Since I missed yesterday's game.....

Game 9 (3-6)
I know the Padres lost. I know Mat Latos gave up a dong in the 1st. I know Jayson Heyward, is by all accounts, an impressive ball player. I know the roller coaster ride is in progress........on yea, I also know it was retro day at the park and that #42 was really giving it to the ump. The ubiquitous #42....

So I was thinking the other night about baseball cliches. Not specifically the laundry list bestowed upon Nuke Laloosh by Crash Davis but instead, some of the common phrases I've heard early in the 2010 season. I'm really tired of hearing/using the following phrases:

"A small sample size." Translation:
"It is what it is." The most overused cliche in San Diego, courtesy of Chargers GM, AJ Smith. This has a few translations:
  • "I refuse to go into more detail."
  • "Accept it!"
  • "Go F*ck yourself! I'm done talking."
  • "You know the answer, F*ckface! Do I need to spell it out for you."
It's really the "sample size" one that gets me though. No sh*t! The season is 162 games long and we're only 9 in.........of course we shouldn't suggest that anyone is on a 103 HR pace! The sample size is too small! And I really need to stop jocking Chase Headley and his success at the plate via his rate of strikeouts. The "sample size" is too small you idiot! Whatever. It is what it is.

Feel free to drop the cliche that grates on you most into the comment section.
Corey Brock [padres.com]
[Box Score]

No comments:

Post a Comment