Tuesday, January 17, 2012

19 Reasons: I Got A Bat

The introduction to 19 Reasons can be read here. Here's reason One and reason Two. Officially, this is Reason Three.

Just as I had never attended Spring Training prior to 2011, Fanfest had also flown off my radar. After the 2011 Padres Fanfest I'm at a loss for why I had never attended. On a beautiful February afternoon . . .

I was stuck in the shade for the better part of the day!

Rick and Beau of RJ's Fro set up a booth in what can only be described as the rough equivalent of their mother's basement: the shaded concourse down the left field line at PETCO Park. Next to the Friarhood, the new Tucson Padres AAA affiliate, and La Poderosa (Flagship station of the San Diego Padres Spanish broadcast), we spent the day talking to Padres fans who were ready for a long and bitter off-season to finally end.

I met great people for the first time; Jordan and Jerrah from Bring Back The Brown; Geoff Young of Ducksnorts. And I continued to reinforce friendships I began during the 2010 season. In many ways this encapsulates what would become a 71-91 2011 season; being with friends and making new ones.

While we held down the fort at the 'Fro booth, a friend named Matt (@matthewverygood on twitter) was gracious enough to grab me a bat from the Padres Garage Sale. I told him to surprise me . . . and surprise me he did (insert Yoda voice). He returned with a bat autographed by the Duke* of Scrapiness, 2000 Padres stalwart Eric Owens. Ironically the only other autographed bat I own is one by Mark Kotsay . . . the guy for whom he was traded** in 2001.

*The King of Scrapiness is David Eckstein. Like you needed to be reminded.
** Matt Clement was also a part of that trade. Remember him? So long ago.

At the end of the day I got myself over to the Garage Sale where I picked up a Mark Merila jersey and a few other cool things. Because life is about the accumulation of stuff, the Garage sale alone is worth attending.

In the end I didn't fully take advantage of what Fanfest had to offer; sun; the on-field experience; the opportunities to mingle with players. But I will do those things at the 2012 Fanfest.

And I will likely add a Darrel Akerfelds jersey to the wardrobe. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment