Monday, January 9, 2012

Tim Sullivan Makes-Up For What The U-T Lacks

A lot of criticism has been heaped upon segments of the San Diego media right here on this site. This past weekend I met up with some friends and when discussing the sources we seek out for information on the Padres the San Diego Union Tribune was not mentioned once.

I do not apologize for the criticism leveled.

In the interest of fairness however I need to find the time to also give praise when it is due. And it's the new year so let's shoot for a little positivity . . .

I personally like Tim Sullivan's style of writing. His references are fresh and he always puts together an intelligent piece of writing. I don't always agree with him but I never feel like I read something that was mailed-in. Merely one man's opinion.

He wrote two good columns in the last few days and I'd like to call attention to each as I think they're worth your time.

Padres GM motivated by need vs. cost of deals [January 6th, 2011]

Sullivan brings focus to the Padres actions of the last month noting how nearly every move sought to improve the team sooner than later and each also added payroll, a point that is never lost on fans.

Aside from one comment that appeared to condemn Jed Hoyer for ownership's reluctance to spend money during the last two seasons this is a fair article and worth reading.

On Sunday morning Sullivan wrote of Barry Larkin and what looks to be his sure-fire election to the Hall of Fame.

In a numbers game, Larkin now bound for Hall of Fame [January 7th, 2012]

Sullivan writes*:
In theory, a retired ballplayer does not grow more deserving with the passage of time. Unlike Emily Dickinson or Franz Kafka, his reputation cannot be enhanced by a stash of hits that are discovered posthumously.  
 I've never read Dickinson or Kafka but I understand his point. I do wish Sullivan would have made mention that, while players' stats don't change during their waiting period for potential Hall of Fame enshrinement, often the interpretations of those stats do.

The newer methods of evaluating the worth of a player are evolving and sometimes there is more than what initially meets the eye with what a player accomplished during his career. If a diary written by John F. Kennedy was found it could certainly change the way historians interpreted his presidency. It's similar with baseball, only far less important.

Two good reads by Sullivan.

* He also writes of how he no longer uses his BBWAA vote for the Hall of Fame and why. He has a pretty good point.

2 comments:

  1. You should read "The Metamorphsis" Its all together disturbing and heartbreaking. #Kafka.

    I will also note that Sullivan has, in the past, engaged me on twitter on a couple occasions. Thoughtfully as well, not just a blow off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put "The Metamorphosis" on my short list. Thanks Daniel.

    ReplyDelete