Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Plunger, Quentin, Cashner, Parallel

Random thoughts raced through my mind as I plunged a toilet at 11:30 pm a few nights back. They began with the acquisition of Carlos Quentin, made their way to the Anthony Rizzo for Andrew Cashner trade, and returned full circle to where they belonged: the plunger in my hand.
After one plunges a toilet what is one supposed to do with this dripping wet, filth covered tool of liberation?

You can't just leave it in the toilet bowl; that would be dangerous. But if you place it next to the toilet you get sewage all over the floor. If you try to transport it to the shower you drip sewage on the floor. If you're lucky enough not to drip sewage on the floor it doesn't really matter because you've just deposited an excrement laden instrument into the area used for cleaning your body. This does not sound like a model of cleanliness.

As I stood in the bathroom during the late hours, finishing the plunging job at hand, this is where my thoughts drifted; What in the world do I do with this?

And then I realized this dilemma wasn't really about the plunger. It was about Carlos Quentin and Andrew Cashner. My question was really for Josh Byrnes and Padres management; What in the world do I do with this?

What do I do with this information you have provided me with? You've made trades. But I'm at a bit of a loss. You gave up arms to get a guy who plays left field, in Carlos Quentin*. But you went and got him a year before a good number of the young guys will be arriving in San Diego from the various farm affiliates. Are you going to try and extend Carlos Quentin? What do I do with this?

*Now let me be upfront. I am in no way equating Carlos Quentin with crap. I think he will perform well in PETCO Park his season and I loved what I heard from him on the Darren Smith Show last week. He sounds like the type of guy with a mental approach that can tackle the difficulties of such a large park. Now that we're clear, let's get back to that plunger and my parallel thoughts . . .

Andrew Cashner for Anthony Rizzo. A bullpen arm for one of the top prospects in the Padres system. How can I still possibly make fun of the Marlins for trading Cameron Maybin to the Padres for Edward Mujica and Ryan Webb? My laughter was predicated on the notion that relievers for position players was dumb. What do I do with this?

I've enjoyed this off season, it's been exciting. But there's a lot to digest and I keep asking myself . . . what do I do with this*?

 *Any suggestions on what to do with the plunger?

6 comments:

  1. Simple.

    Throw it out and buy a new one.

    If you smell what the Kroc is cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plunger question: What I do is keep the plunger end wrapped in a doubled plastic grocery bag. Then when it's done dripping, I open the bag(s), place the wet end in and transport back to the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sammy

    This makes sense.

    Can you explain the Quentin/Cashner deals in greater detail for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I cannot. I just pray this one works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made a funny association with Carlos Quentin in your first paragraph. I think you better have a good water jetter.

    ReplyDelete