Thursday, January 5, 2012

And It Rained: Baseball Conversations With a 5 Year Old

Quite a few Saturdays ago it rained. Such an infrequent southern California occurrence warranted observation and appreciation. So out to the garage we went. With chairs unfolded and the garage-door lifted, the daughter and I sat . . .


"It doesn't usually rain in San Diego." I said.

My little one answered, "It's raining right now."

"But it doesn't usually rain. Our climate is dry in San Diego" [It's never too early to begin geography]

"I like rain." she innocently proclaimed.

"Me too." I said.  "You know where it does rain a lot?"

Familiar with but a few cities on the map, the little one boldly asked, "Where?"

"In Seattle."

"What's Seattle?" she inquired.

How best to explain such things to a child? 

"Well. Seattle is a city. Like San Diego is a city. And it's in a state called Washington. It rains a lot there." I answered with confidence, despite never having set foot in the pacific northwest.

"Oh."

Thinking it was time to expand her baseball horizons I fired off another question. "You know who plays baseball in Seattle?"

"Who?"

"The Mariners."

"What's a Mariner?"

I did not know if this was the best answer but I went with it, because . . . well, she's five. So I said, "It's like a fisherman. Someone who goes out in the ocean."

"A fisherman?"

"Yeah. A fisherman. You know what?"

"What, daddy?"

And with all the seriousness I could muster I threw down the gauntlet and let the young one know what kind of a life she was in for as a Padres fan.

With straight face, I told her, "As a Padre fan you're supposed to hate the Mariners."

Confused, she wondered aloud, "Why?"

"Because Bud Selig said so, honey."

"I like Bud Selig. He's my favorite Padre."

I laughed out loud at the suggestion and went about properly educating her, "Bud Selig isn't a Padre, honey!"

"Well who IS he?"she demanded.

I thought for a moment. "Well . . . he's a used car salesman."

"What's that?", she carefully inquired.

I could only smile and instead decided to put her mind at ease. "Never mind. Let's enjoy the rest of this rain."

And so we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment