Friday, January 13, 2012

19 Reasons: Let's talk about #balls

Right before the start of the 2011 season San Diego Padres pitcher Mat Latos signed three baseballs, to be auctioned off for charity. He signed them, "I Hate SF!"

It. Was. Awesome! Then San Francisco Giants fans completely melted down over the whole affair and it became even more awesome. 'Twas our own personal nirvana.


The #balls affair was an epic prelude to a season which, unfortunately, failed to deliver. Mat Latos missed the opening series against San Francisco and a lifetime passed before his spot in the rotation matched up with the Giants. By the time a showdown did occur reality had set in. The 2011 Padres were not a good team and any illusions of contending for the division had long since passed.  But boy did the #balls episode kick things off right.


RJ's Fro made t-shirts to commemorate the dust-up, emblazoned with what had become the rallying cry of Padres fans on twitter: #balls. One simple word that continued to pop up through out the season. But what made #balls so great was that it brought fans together -- Padres fans still suffering from a bitter 2010 late-season collapse to the Giants. Amazingly, #balls became the catharsis I needed as a fan of the Padres.

I also loved that the cute little Padres who never make headlines suddenly had a player that others hated. Not just because he spoke his mind but because he was really good. And could make you look stupid with bat in hand.

Little pissing contests, like the "I Hate SF" #balls story, help to build great rivalries. The Padres and the NL West will miss Mat Latos. Though it pains me to say it, I'll miss former Giants pitcher Jonathan Sanchez, and all the crap he talked. I loved hating that guy. And I'll venture a guess that Giants fans might say the same about Mat Latos.

I'll miss the guy too. I always felt like something big might happen each time he took the hill. Best of luck to him in Cincinnati where I hope he  wastes no time signing a few baseballs, "I Hate St.L!"

This all begs the question: With Mat Latos gone have our #balls gone with him?

I'd like to think that the spirit of #balls will continue. An us-against-them type of irreverence that is essential for teams like the Padres who attempt to do battle on very uneven terrain. For success in such a rough and tumble world one needs #balls.

#balls

No comments:

Post a Comment